A Story About My Lessons With Chapin & Morello

Dave Goodman

A Story About My Lessons With Chapin & Morello

Postby Dave Goodman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:59 am

In 2002, I flew from Sydney to New York for a three-month sabbatical that included taking lessons with Jim Chapin and Joe Morello.

About a year ago, my buddy Jeff Doukakis started a podcast series of interviews with Australian drummers called The Deconstructed Drummer. Jeff and I chatted here in my house for a few hours a few weeks ago, and he’ll be publishing that in full next Tuesday.

For now, Jeff has posted this half-hour preview of my story about the time I spent with Chapin and Morello. There’s a lot more about my time with them that I didn’t get to here, but it seems to capture a bit of the essence of some of the magic that I felt with them.

I don’t seem to be able to find a way of effectively embedding the player using the little buttons here, so I’ll simply post the link here for now until someone can help me:

https://soundcloud.com/thedeconstructeddrummer/episode13preview

The rest of the podcast features interviews with some seriously great Australian players, and these are worth listening to. And so, if you want to find out more about what’s happening down here in Australia where we’re all upside down, this is a great start. Fellow HOD-er cheggs (Chris Allison) is also featured in his own episode.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: A Story About My Lessons With Chapin & Morello

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks for posting Dave, I'll check this out.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Right on Dave...I could care less about your playing, I just dig the Aussie accent!
Typically CA dick comment right! lol Nice podcast...another notch on the drumming
brotherhood covering oceans apart. "Rubbish technique" and the proverbial 'fight
or flight'....glad you fought! In the end, stories rock...more satisfying than a fat
groove. Joe "politically very incorrect" Morello...classic tale! It's the "technique"
not me...pretty powerful statement really.

There is a great video after Jim passed w/Jojo in a motel sharing his time with Jim.
There also some older cats, Matt Patella & Chick Webb (tons of Ytube vids) who are
almost religious about the proper technique passed from generation to generation,
Moeller/Gladstone/Stone to Morello and HOW to go through GL Stone's Stick Control
the "proper way" as taught by GL Stone to Morello. In that Jojo video, he explains
how he took what Jim taught and modified it. Patella and Webb have almost that same
vibe you mentioned when talking with Morello...old school NY/east coast vibe.

Very cool podcast...
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Cool.

Also ice to have somthing nice to listen to through my weekly 7-8 hour commute. I rn out of drumming podcasts, but here's something to mix up with the bushcraft stuff.

Yeah. It interesting, those attitudes and reverence. There's the difference somewhat to being just a player of just a teacher. We need to look forward, but getting he stories along with the knowledge is interesting, it widens your perspective and general understanding and makes for a deeper connection with our history, the music, lives and learning experiences of the past. Wy tings are the way they are etc...
Dave Goodman

Postby Dave Goodman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:29 am

Pocketplayer wrote:Right on Dave...I could care less about your playing, I just dig the Aussie accent!
Typically CA dick comment right! lol Nice podcast...another notch on the drumming
brotherhood covering oceans apart. "Rubbish technique" and the proverbial 'fight
or flight'....glad you fought! In the end, stories rock...more satisfying than a fat
groove. Joe "politically very incorrect" Morello...classic tale! It's the "technique"
not me...pretty powerful statement really.

There is a great video after Jim passed w/Jojo in a motel sharing his time with Jim.
There also some older cats, Matt Patella & Chick Webb (tons of Ytube vids) who are
almost religious about the proper technique passed from generation to generation,
Moeller/Gladstone/Stone to Morello and HOW to go through GL Stone's Stick Control
the "proper way" as taught by GL Stone to Morello. In that Jojo video, he explains
how he took what Jim taught and modified it. Patella and Webb have almost that same
vibe you mentioned when talking with Morello...old school NY/east coast vibe.

Very cool podcast...

Man, thanks [I wish I knew your real name!]. Is there a link to the video you're talking about? I'd love to see it! Man, I have to admit that sometimes I feel like I might have misread your comments on my posts previously, and have taken things personally in the past (lost in translation?), but I don't really get bugged by such things anymore. I gather you have a good intent behind what you say here.

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Cool.

Also ice to have somthing nice to listen to through my weekly 7-8 hour commute. I rn out of drumming podcasts, but here's something to mix up with the bushcraft stuff.

Yeah. It interesting, those attitudes and reverence. There's the difference somewhat to being just a player of just a teacher. We need to look forward, but getting he stories along with the knowledge is interesting, it widens your perspective and general understanding and makes for a deeper connection with our history, the music, lives and learning experiences of the past. Wy tings are the way they are etc...

Glad you guys seem to like what Jeff's doing with the podcast. There's some seriously great talent in this upside-down country, but you'd never know about it if it wasn't for what guys like Jeff are doing.

For what it's worth, the full interview went live tonight: https://soundcloud.com/thedeconstructeddrummer/episode13
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:14 am

Nice impersonations. Famularo was spot on. :)

I don't think Jojo had any steady lessons with Jim, just a sit down in a hotel once.

Return to “Drumming Chat”