Drummers who *almost* "made it big"

AllenS

Drummers who *almost* "made it big"

Postby AllenS » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:40 am

I have been thinking about this recently - some drummers (and musicians and artists in general, hell basically all serious professionals) seem to be "lucky" (not disregarding their talent, skill, preparedness, shrewdness, and dedication), while many others who may very well be equally talented, skilled, prepared, shared, and dedicated just happen to find themselves in "the right place but at the wrong time" (or vice versa? :| ).

What do you guys think? There's really a big element of "things are out of my control" at some point, regardless of how good you are, eh? I find this fascinating...curious as to others' thoughts.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Drummers who *almost* "made it big"

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Well. A little bit of illness, but mostly abuse in the most unnatural surroundings possible, to the point where you can't feel music, taste food, be creative or remember much really.

Shouldn't blame others, but in this case it's easy.

Would have been self made, because I had the drive and know how to.

Probably going to court in the fall, but regardless of if I win or not, I won't get my time or that drive back.

Most surreal and completely insane.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 am

Schmoozing has alot to do with success in the music industry. Kissing butt is one of the major ways an undeserving player can get work. I see it happen all the time. It's sickening.
Last edited by Patrick Tiglao on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing left to say.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:31 am

Depends on how you measure success.

Fame and fortune is one thing.

Being able to make a living as true artist and still being able to look yourself in the mirror is often another.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:02 pm

If you are as talented, prepared, socially adept, and in a location that "bigger gigs" are present... You will find a gig.. If you are driven..

The reality is if you are lacking in one of those areas, you won't.... For many who you think are amazing and cool.. it's the driven part.

In my experience drive outways every other category as far as getting a "Big Gig" or any gig for that matter.. as long as you have the minimum skill required to handle the gig and you aren't an asshole.

Many cool, talented prepared people aren't in the right place location wise.. and they haven't the drive to be there to get a gig.. Or they might be in the right pace but don't actively try and get gigs.
They are content with what they are doing.. even though they say they want a bigger gig.. but don't actively pursue it with the level of commitment that they put into everything else they have developed skill wise..
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:53 am

chris perra wrote:If you are as talented, prepared, socially adept, and in a location that "bigger gigs" are present... You will find a gig.. If you are driven..

100% agree.

My plan was a little bit different.

Moved for a full time teachining gig in a small town about 2 1/2 hours oputside Trondheim. Great home with the most amazing second living room for practicing and live recording.

Was just gonna stay there. Rent Vinnie and Jimmy Johnson for my first and last serious guitar effort. Then just save up for drum gear, recording gear, PA ect.. and just hire people from the city to slowly build something as mainly a drummer, guaranteeing the other guys/gals their paycheck at my own expense until there was enough momentum.

Teaching gig turned into a nightmare. Tried to keep going, but have just had to accept the fact that I've been burned out and had to take whatever time I needed to recover.

It's not over, in regards to legal matters it's unfortnately just getting started, but at least I don't feel like an abuse victim anymore and I've removed anyone who's just the slightest bit toxic from my life. Mostly people who feel threatened by my teaching skills, which are considerable no matter what situation I'm in or the shape of my own chops at the moment. Leaves me pretty much with my cat and whatever young female appreciates an old fartist.

I'll be back, but hard to tell how things will evolve right now.

Return to “Drumming Chat”