Quarantine Chatty!

Matus

Re: Quarantine Chatty!

Postby Matus » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:21 pm

Thanks a lot, everyone. Everyone says exercise/sport does help, so I might get into training again and find a way to go back to playing basketball. Those things always helped, but pandemic really hit hard (even though I didn't get covid at all) and I've lost a lot of muscle mass. Still healthy, but you know, intense playing requires more physical condition.
All tests so far are clearly pointing at life events turning into basal anxiety. I'll try to get over it without drugs, but I'm all for them if it helps to keep things under control and I still need a diagnosis anyway.

Merrill, thanks a lot. "Musical and relaxed" is what I always go for. It sounds non-rehearsed because that's what it is :-) Besides the fact that I was told I'd be performing some 24h before, I know the track inside out because I recorded that album in 2006 and it's been a favourite for clinics. I always start with something on the metal side of things, then go for this and if I get away with it, I can do pretty much I want from that point. I always improvise a lot anyway. Not really into composing up to the very last ghost note.

Again, thanks for all the support, always.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:38 pm

Matus wrote:Everyone says exercise/sport does help, so I might get into training again and find a way to go back to playing basketball.

Even walking and cycling will do wonders, and don't require other humans. But then again, doing fun things with friends can be very beneficial too.
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:57 am

The drugs may help but are a crutch that you'll need to rely on. And if you miss taking them, bad things. Had a guitarist in a band I was in do that to a real bad effect, before a big show, that I put out a lot of money to promote...he ended up being committed.

Better to get your head together using your own will and tools as much as possible. There are so many good tools out there now for assisting in developing mechanisms to work with your brain.

Diet also has a big effect on how the brain operates, perhaps dialing that in, short story on that, no sweets! :)

Just IMO. I put on way too much weight over the last couple of years, going back to the gym now to drop it.

Good luck on your journey!
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:12 pm

No secret that I've had quite severe PTSD for a while.

Propper treatment is a different matter, mostly complete incompetence, but my lawyer had a line to the right people to at least provide what he needs for the case.

Anyway. If you just needs something occasionally CBD or a high does of ashwaganda may work. You don't want to take nootropics constantly as they loose their effect, but these are simple and mild things you can get easily and try out.

I mostly keep it in check, but my surroundings, most old friends etc.. really gaslight as much as those responsible for this and are of no help, so I've had to make some extreme long tem social choices. Basically, down to winning a case and ending up with enough resources to get back some essential human freedoms.

Diet is so individual. I'm like 99% carnivore now, which is kinda weird, but seems to work for me. Breakfast, late lunch and that's it. 1-3-lbs depending on appetite. The metaphor would really be that you work a bit nore like a diesel engine, takes a bit more to get started, but then you just keep going.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:11 pm

Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:01 pm

I saw Bob Dylan at the Ryman last night. He sounded as good as could be expected, and his band was pretty amazing. Charley Drayton on drums and he played brushes for about 70 percent of the show. Super tasty. But when they played that boogie woogie 50's style rock and roll... dude. That guy plays the shit out of that. That straight/swung feel that SOOOOOO many people try to play and can intellectualize, but actually making it feel good and right is a different thing. Lotta respect for Mr Charlie Drayton.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:35 pm

Matus

Postby Matus » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:41 pm

If there's one thing about my playing I've never been 100% happy with, it's my soloing. I guess it's partly because most of the time it serves a purpose. In a rock concert, it must have that "rock show" element, when doing clinics I feel like I'm doing it just to justify saying "music comes first, not technique", and so on. Within songs, I can deal with it, but free form soloing is just hit or miss for me.
This time, it was so unexpected I just felt like doing it coming out of the previous song (you can see me still wiping my face). And curiously enough, when you're so deprived of sleep, time feels slower and in a weird way, so I kept jumping between ideas and modulations like "that's enough of this".
Anyway, here's some sleepy soloing. I highly respect this forum, so sharing this is a strange feeling, yet somehow cathartic.

facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Merrill Conn

Postby Merrill Conn » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:07 pm

Carlos --

That was extremely good. Loved the way that you kept the groove going even when you modulated through different time sigs and feels. The ending was a real pleasantly surprising change. Most people finish their solos off with "fireworks." You came to a nice "peaceful" ending.
Great job, and thanks for sharing.

BTW...the drums sounded really nice...especially the snare.
When in doubt...roll.
willyz

Postby willyz » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:29 am

Hey all!

My son Theo was born four weeks ago tonight. He and Sara are doing great, and I'm surviving (lol)! Been a wild ride thus far, but all is good. His current favorite albums are Kind of Blue and Wildflowers, so I think it's fair to say we're off to a good start! Hope y'all are doing well! Cheers!

Got Blushda?

Return to “Drumming Chat”