Quarantine Chatty!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Quarantine Chatty!

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:41 pm

Well, Terry did all cymbals, so why not all snares?

Here's some inspiration.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:11 am

Caught my first Drumhang yeaterday. Wish I had jumped on board earlier for the Vinnie only ones, but it was not to be.

Kai was there. So was John Riley, Dave Hassel, Marc Mondesir and quite a few name drummers.

I was just back from an overnighter with my new setup. Sort of has to be my main focus for a while to take care of my health. Life was supposed to be mainly music and this, but someone decided that wasn't to be. Now it's pretty much just about getting as much as possible out of the system, so it can be actually practically possible to move on.

Matus

Postby Matus » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:38 pm

Merrill Conn wrote:Man...that IS quite the arrangement!!!

You mentioned that they are tuned from high-to-low, which makes sense. Do the snares actually have that kind of range without being muddy at the low-end and choked at the high-end even accounting for shell depth? If the sound is clear at all tuning ranges, they must be great drums.

Are you going to have a set routine for playing the "Bozzio-Lite" set-up, or are you going to just play and see what happens? I'm looking forward to see/hear the outcome.
Again...congrats on the Mapex deal, and thanks for posting.

Me: Does anybody have a road map?

Great question. For the most part, they retain articulation and tone all the way through. The lowest one might get a but muddy but then, muffle that, tighten the snares and it's what people have for a "fat" sound. I've used that with not too much muffling on recordings and it does work great. Sometimes getting out of range gives you what the song needs.
But there's some kind of snare response/attack inherent to the whole Black Panther concept. I had a couple of them back in 2004-5 and the newer ones sound familiar in that regard. I don't know what it is (snare beds, bearing edges, whatever) but they are consistent.
I do have passages in mind, like different "areas" and "sections" I wanna cover (mallets, ranges, snares off, snares on, brushes, etc) and get to spend some time with each one, but within each one of those, I wanna feel the room and the drums and keep it alive and real.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Matus

Postby Matus » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:42 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Caught my first Drumhang yeaterday. Wish I had jumped on board earlier for the Vinnie only ones, but it was not to be.

Kai was there. So was John Riley, Dave Hassel, Marc Mondesir and quite a few name drummers.

I was just back from an overnighter with my new setup. Sort of has to be my main focus for a while to take care of my health. Life was supposed to be mainly music and this, but someone decided that wasn't to be. Now it's pretty much just about getting as much as possible out of the system, so it can be actually practically possible to move on.

Man that is an amazing landscape. I SO need some nature time like that. One of the things I miss the most about my hometown is that I could always go to the mountain, start climbing up river and just be alone with the sound of water. Then head back and get home all sore and scratched from all the jumping and climbing. It just heals the body and soul.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:19 pm

Matus wrote:
Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Caught my first Drumhang yeaterday. Wish I had jumped on board earlier for the Vinnie only ones, but it was not to be.

Man that is an amazing landscape. I SO need some nature time like that. One of the things I miss the most about my hometown is that I could always go to the mountain, start climbing up river and just be alone with the sound of water. Then head back and get home all sore and scratched from all the jumping and climbing. It just heals the body and soul.

A workout with some additional benefits, for sure.

I generally go in the evenings when it cools down a bit, spend the night and walk back down before it gets too hot,

Plan now is to just go to as many new random places as I can. Rest day today, but I got in the car and did some scouting and planning.

I loving the combat shelter because it's like a small lean to when you open up the whole side and you get the view. As far from modern ultra light as you can get, but simple, practical and undestructible.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:04 pm

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:41 pm

Luke might do his traditional gig at the spud christmas time. Those will be hard tickets to get.

Steve Jordan years are good times. Sob Rock good vibes
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:22 pm

HASS

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:37 pm

Mark Guilliana

langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:16 pm

Deen killing Mother Father, again, from the other night.

Killer Journey with Smith from 1979.

Return to “Drumming Chat”