Quarantine Chatty!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Quarantine Chatty!

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed May 13, 2020 12:22 pm

Guess this made me want to check out some old Toto.

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed May 13, 2020 4:39 pm

Lion is also my favorite song off of Iso. The blu ray 40 tours around the sun is a must have! Every performance is effortless cause they are so polished. This tune sounds way better than the record! I like Shannon's approach to the song better than Jeff's. Shannon is a perfect fit for this band.

Last Toto album with Jeff. Love the drumming on this record.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed May 13, 2020 10:37 pm

Kurtis wrote:Lion is also my favorite song off of Iso. The blu ray 40 tours around the sun is a must have! Every performance is effortless cause they are so polished. This tune sounds way better than the record! I like Shannon's approach to the song better than Jeff's. Shannon is a perfect fit for this band.

Last Toto album with Jeff. Love the drumming on this record.

Kingdom of Desire was really my first exposure to Toto. Started a long period with Luke as my main guitar hero. Candyman and the live record that came out around the same time were all constantly running and being played along to.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri May 15, 2020 11:06 am

So, there we go. 4 hours drumming in 0 degrees Celsius. That's 32 F to you 'mericans.

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri May 15, 2020 1:12 pm

Lee had five days to learn this set...in his YT channel he said he did TOTO
non-stop in his truck for this gig...love Mike, but man, TOTO kills this gig...
they play A LOT of tunes off the hit list like Isolation, Kingdom of Desire, etc...

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri May 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Is this the guy that did the original verse vocals on Africa? it sounds like a bad karaoke version.

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri May 15, 2020 1:56 pm

Yeah...David Paich...was off that night for sure! Cringe worthy actually...
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri May 15, 2020 7:09 pm

All that screaming he did sometimes...

Doing the influential albums thing on FB, pulled this one up. Crazy weird groove from Yogi Horton.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat May 16, 2020 6:12 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Is this the guy that did the original verse vocals on Africa? it sounds like a bad karaoke version.

Probably already into the hitting the drugs hard phase, I guess. Maybe just a bad day.

Dave and Luke were never the greatest singers, though. Luke improved over time.

It's part of the story.

There is also a thing about having a main singer and gettng really cold before it's your turn to sing your one song. That's an issue I'm very much familiar with myself.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat May 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Drums are back in the shed and I'm pretty much completely exhausted. 5 hours each way and somehow squeezing inbetween my bass drum and floor tom and snare to sleep. Putting the hardware in the ski box made it possible.

It was a good trip in general. I got to talk to a lot of people who now know a lot about my story in that place and oubviously why I'm doing this. Everyone's very supportive. Not everyone was equally comfortable, mainly my old boss (who's not in that job anymre, probably due to me) sneaking by in the background and a few politicians and officials. They all knew because the police informed them, but it's a peaceful legal demonstration. Very loud at times, but peaceful demostration. The police car patrol did stop by several times. God nows what they thought. Actually, they called be just before I started to make sure what was going on.

Best part of the day was several groups of 1-3 graders passing by. I started them doing the "secret door knock" and then I soloed a bit over it. When they walked away they got a typical drum march. Their teachers were cool and totally into it.

My sidekick Roger "Buffalo" Wings got a few spots, but he needs some friends. I'll do a bit more of the Tommy Campbell thing once I find more quality squeeky toys like his.

Next time is planned for Saturday here in my home town. I just have to geth it cleared with the boss there on Monday as he wasn't at work today.

In most small towns the community center and city hall are the same building. That is, if it's a relatively newish one. That's not the case in my home town, but the mall is the best choice in most places for Saturdays. That's where most people will be doing their safe distance shopping.

Tynset has a very special place in my heart and I'll probably be going there one more time for each other place I go. All is fair in love and war... and this is both in a way.

Return to “Drumming Chat”