Quarantine Chatty!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Quarantine Chatty!

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:58 am

Hardly a resolution or anything, but it so happens that I am very much into practicing again and will resume the type of routine I used to have on Monday.

The week has been one of nerdery with pad practice and soon to having watched all of Stargate SG-1.

Regardless of what I'm going through it seems that the staples of my practice haven't changed much. It's not like nothing's happened these last few years. All American Drummer is my go to book along with Sticking Patterns and what changes is really just how I approach them.

Right now I'm spending several days with each etude, skipping the easier ones and perfecting them in chunks with the mindset of building specific vocabulary and just see what sticks.

The previous approach which was just playing through them and using both brushes and different surfaces had surprisingly good results on just playing and improvising at the kit, but I just feel like approaching it differently for a while both for mental and physical reasons.

Right now I'm doing #133 two lines at a time, continuing with both right and left hand lead which has been the way for some time.

It's just a matter of building som conditioning and intensity back up behind the kitand though things are slow and much time is lost many things behind the kit will be the best they have been.

All the legal stuff is such a long process that there's really no other choice than moving on with what's possible. At lest I've taken things so far inmy wn way that there's nothing to be afraid of anymore. It does have positive effects, but that too is a very slow process. Simple things like maybe media wonæt share the full story yet, but they have pretty much stopped writing anything psoitive or positive at all about my abusers and they are talking to me a bit. This means we all know the truth and it's just a matter of time.

I'll just get to work and with a little support I'll probably go for the school thing again in 2022. I'll be mostly incognito to most people and social media too, which means I'll generally be in the shed or out in nature. To save time and money the activism thing will be more tour based. One trip during spring and one trip during fall with a whole week or two of dates.

Feels like I'm starting all over again learning how to play, but of course I know, even if it doesn't feel that way, that all past skills and insight will resurface pretty quickly.

My mom slept over at my sister's place on Christmas Eve, but she wsnæt abe to sleep much, so on New Years Eve we took her back so she could sleep in the old people's home. Vaccines are on the way now, so she'll get more freedom. The rules are generally two people at a time for one hour wearing masks. When things are under control there are no real rules, so she can then go wherever she wants, under someone's supervision of course, as long as she's back before bedtime. Short term memory is pretty much gone, but she's unusually physically healthy, so it will just be about making the last few years she has left the best possible. It doesn't initially feel right sending your mother to a home, but she's able to have a much better daily life experience with the activities they do there. When things open up again she can get sort of the best of both worlds.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:45 am

The new Oz Noy Snapdragon album is really good. The tracks Vinnie plays on are incredible. They are must must hear tunes folks.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:56 pm

Been doing some shedding recently. Starting to feel my age! How the hell did Neil play so many shows. Guy was superhuman.

This is a great sounding show from 1981.

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:08 pm

That 1981 Rush recording is a great sounding show.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:49 am

So, this is sort of working out. Routine is coming together. Something more focused and less atheletic than it used to be.

Sticking with the 4-piece and want to have a bit of fun putting together something unusual with extra hats and snare drums just for the heck of it.

Since my mom is pretty easy to deal with they'll move her to something that's more like a regular apartment with bedroom and living room over the weekend which is great. The 3-4 months she's been there it's been in a very clinical hospital like room. Got her first vaccine on Monday and the sencond one in 3 weeks, so at least she'll be safe from Covid pretty soon.

Needed something else to do indoors for variation and since I'm not much into knitting I got myself some lockpicks and practice locks. Didn't even know much at all about locks before, but that changed pretty quickly. Plenty of locks that are really hard and almost impossible, but the average cheap ones that most people use are generally pretty easy. I'm obvously just abeginner having some fun aquiring a skill that may help someone in a pinch, but it's nice trying a new simple hobby that you can practice pretty much anywhere.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:27 pm

Tool fans might dig this
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:35 pm

Substitue He for She

He's come undun
He didn't know what he was headed for
And when he found what he was headed for
It was too late

He's come undun
He climbed a mountain that was far too high
And when he found out he couldn't fly
It was too late

He's come undun
We wanted truth but all we got was lies
And when the time came to realize
It was too late

It's too late
He's gone too far
He's lost the sun

He's
Come
Un

Duh-uh-un!

Woop-dee-doo-doo-doo-doo-doe-doe-doo-doo-doo-doo

[wait for it]

Boop.

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:03 pm

Anyone in touch with Peter C? That guy was pure class!
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:28 pm

Classic Gadd gig. 45:43. Love the groove and the fill.

Crazy chops and musicality

Good times.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:14 pm

Vinnie's Roland loop made me think of the intro to Ikea King.

Return to “Drumming Chat”