Ali Jackson thread

baht habit

Ali Jackson thread

Postby baht habit » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:16 pm

Rodge

Re: Ali Jackson thread

Postby Rodge » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:41 pm

Well, I know where Ali is coming from, it takes some balls to do/say what he says, funny because I thought that the piano player was not at the same level than Vince and JP.

But Ali was born in 1976, Vince in 56, I don't know man, being a great Jazz drummer with outstanding resume doesn't give you the right to diss a legend like my boy who makes HIS musical choices, not Ali's ones...

Anyway, at then end I like the fact that Ali says what is in his mind, a lost art if I can say, so, why not, I guess...
Last edited by Rodge on Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:05 pm

I don't know.

I heard plenty enough of this talk for it to be just the standard fair every day that I got tired of it when I went to Players' School.

Having grown up listening to Paolo and Jon here at home I guess I have a slightly different view on filling out like that.

It would be a pretty boring world, which it's increasingly becoming, if we all played the same way. I've always preferred that bit of extra spice.

He has the right to say what he wants and I have the right to disagree and not care.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:00 am

Feels like a class I took in college where we analyzed classic jazz records and discussed what we did and didn't like about them. It's very important as a young musician to figure out what you like and what you don't like about music and incorporate that into your playing. Also, those classes were always informed by whoever the teacher was and what his (sorry, never had a woman lead that discussion) biases and tastes were. So, if the point of this video is to inform young jazz players on how to and not to approach playing in a trio, I don't really disagree with anything he said. And it's definitely not the first time I've heard someone not digging Vinnie playing jazz. I've listened to that album a couple of times and it never really grabbed me. I think if you put it on in the background when the neighbors came over for dinner no one would object to it. Most of the jazz music that I enjoy is the kind of jazz that people that hate jazz would REALLY hate. :)
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Merrill Conn

Postby Merrill Conn » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:31 am

Tom Reschke wrote:Feels like a class I took in college where we analyzed classic jazz records and discussed what we did and didn't like about them. It's very important as a young musician to figure out what you like and what you don't like about music and incorporate that into your playing. Also, those classes were always informed by whoever the teacher was and what his (sorry, never had a woman lead that discussion) biases and tastes were. So, if the point of this video is to inform young jazz players on how to and not to approach playing in a trio, I don't really disagree with anything he said. And it's definitely not the first time I've heard someone not digging Vinnie playing jazz. I've listened to that album a couple of times and it never really grabbed me. I think if you put it on in the background when the neighbors came over for dinner no one would object to it. Most of the jazz music that I enjoy is the kind of jazz that people that hate jazz would REALLY hate. :)

You took the words right out of my mouth, Tom. I totally agree with just about everything you wrote, except for the preference in jazz. FWIW, I like the more swinging stuff like Bird, Phil Woods, Oscar, etc., more like the stuff Ali likes/plays.

The only original thought I might add is you don't hire Vinnie to play in a "traditional" sense; you hire him for what he brings to the table.
When in doubt...roll.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:40 am

It's weird to me, and really disrespectful.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:04 am

Rodge wrote:It's weird to me, and really disrespectful.

You would love Jeff Berlin. :lol:
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:20 am

Berlin is bitter since the birth of the late great Jaco Pastorius, and I really don't care about him. :D

But a fellow drummer, dissing publicly another one, I mean at that level, this is inacceptable for me.
We all think what we think, we surely can appreciate honesty, but sometimes better saying nothing than dissing another brother.

Anyway, hey, why not... :-)
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:27 am

Rodge wrote:Berlin is bitter since the birth of the late great Jaco Pastorius,)

Something he mde painfully clear on a daily basis at the school.

In Jeff's world there is only Jeff's way. He made that pretty clear , too.

He's a very loud man.

Rodge wrote:
But a fellow drummer, dissing publicly another one, I mean at that level, this is inacceptable for me.
We all think what we think, we surely can appreciate honesty, but sometimes better saying nothing than dissing another brother.

Anyway, hey, why not... :-)

It did seem a bit like he was purposely going after him, like the versatile Vinnie isn't all that.

Merrill Conn wrote:The only original thought I might add is you don't hire Vinnie to play in a "traditional" sense; you hire him for what he brings to the table.

That's a pretty big point, actually.
Merrill Conn

Postby Merrill Conn » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:41 am

I thought it weird that he would mention Bill and John by name throughout his review, but constantly refer to Vinnie as "the drummer". C'mon, Ali..."Vinnie" is not that difficult to pronounce. :mrgreen:

Come to think of it...we're giving Ali more "respect" than he showed Vinnie by keeping this thread alive.

So..I'm sitting out the rest of this.
When in doubt...roll.

Return to “Drumming Chat”