2023 Chatty!

Paul Marangoni

Re: 2023 Chatty!

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:28 pm

langmick wrote:These 1980 Jeff Beck shows with a 23 year old Simon are crazy.

I saw that tour in Vancouver. First time ever seeing Beck live, and had never even heard of Simon at that point. Easily one of the best shows I've ever witnessed.
Also saw Beck with Bozzio at Madison Square Garden in New York, with Steve Alexander on drums in Toronto, and many, many shows with Vinnie in California.
One in particular, with Tal on bass at the El Rey was particularly incredible. The band was insanely tight and Rod Stewart showed up to sing a few tunes. Steve Perry was in the audience too.
I even got to meet Jeff backstage after a show thanks to Vinnie.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:36 am

I've seen Jeff a few times.

His most impressive plying was actually with Narada in Molde, but they also served as the warm-up to Herbie with Vinnie, so a pretty good show that day. :-)

When I went to see him with Vinnie it was sadly a bit too much drunk blues fans and cell phone galore. I sort of get it as it was the first time and obviously will never happen again, but it is super annoying and not too respectful neither to the band nor others who are there to enjoy the performance and just take in the experience.

Vinnie isn't getting any younger, so I'll try to catch him any chance I get. Only about two clips that I didn't enjoy, so he's still da man.

I will try to reach out to him about the teaching stuff, but health and legal matters are still pretty much taking everything I have out of me. I'm starting to be a real pain in the "system's" butt, but if it'll work at all still remains to be seen.
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:36 pm

Well, here's a vid from this past show, playing Garth. Guitarist on this gig was also from Toronto, and was a helluva player. Really enjoyed that.

I was asked to do a short solo before the gig, so just did a brief one in the second set that would hopefully keep the crowd happy. My hands and arms at this point were a little more used to playing grooves, so I found it a bit hard to get doubles and rolls and not clam allover the joint, to my eternal shame. I think I might cop the entire La Do Da Steve Smith solo next time, it's about the right tempo.

I forgot to add, I am in fairly good health, just a big guy fyi. :)

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:34 am

Cool, you make me think about the great Paul Leim, maybe because it's some country music ? I don't know, but cool anyway, and AWESOME to still playing a proper full drums !!! :-)
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:27 pm

Thank you for watching Rodge! Much appreciated!!

I reached out to an Elton tribute to see if they needed a sub who can slide in without rehearsal. He says sure, then asks if I know any Garth Brooks, I said I know one song, barely. Friends in Low Places. I start learning some tunes, and actually liking it, it's not just shuffles. Lots going on, something to dig into. The bassist with Bettye Lavette, a monster bassist, sat in without rehearsal and agreed.

He hits me up and asks if I know any Shania. I say one song. Man I Feel Like a Woman. He asks if I can learn a set. I say sure. That was way harder. Mutt Lange made everything edgy and starts and stops all over that you have to hit. That show didn't go so well, but was made ok by the kids dancing and knowing all the words.

Anyway, digging the shuffling and power drumming that I get to throw in there, it's a blast. I copy some Comfortably Numb in a couple songs with long solos actually.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:57 pm

Yeah Langmick, nice playing indeed!! :)
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:43 am

Thank you beat!

Haven't seen this solo before, it's from when Smith was still hitting hard and with some intensity.

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:44 pm

it's been just over 3 years since Neil passed away
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:54 pm

Thanks for the Neil video...

This was the Machine Gun Smitty that blew my mind at an arena show.
WHAT did that guy just play? Then looked through my sister's lps and found
a Jean Luc Ponty lp w Steve. That got the ball rolling...

Todd did a nice tribute here

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:44 pm

Hey Rodge, check this out! :mrgreen:

Return to “Drumming Chat”