Steve Hass new youtube channel!

Robert Bluman

Re: Steve Hass new youtube channel!

Postby Robert Bluman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:43 am

Depends on which era of Tony, Bill not really. Depends on what you mean by quite loose. Check out this video of Hutch and Stewy. Hutch's is pretty choked, Stewy's is not chocked but not loose either.

Today these players play their hihat as if it's as a kick drum. Not just for time keeping. In order to execute fast rhythms the top hat needs to move quickly. With a loose top hat, it's not possible for the cymbal to lift quick enough to play fast doubles. The clutch doesn't lift the top hat fast enough unless it's tight. It's plain physics and mechanics. If you want to play fast consecutive rhythms with your left foot, the top hat needs to be tight.

Here's Tony with Miles when he played a lot of hihat, the top hat is tight on the clutch.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:42 pm

You can see Greg Hutchinson's hi-hats move quite freely when he strikes them at 7:05 and Bill Stewart's hi-hats sloshing around at the 7:50 mark. There are many levels of "tightness", but one thing is certain, no one cranks down their clutch to the point of the cymbal not moving. It would sound horrible, and lead to breakage.
Derek DeFields

Postby Derek DeFields » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:18 am

Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:42 pm

I must have missed this video.
I like how he says " ALRIGHT!" Cracks me up.
Derek here's the video link embedded:

I guess we're not clear on the level of tightness John was talking about because that Redman clip at 7:05 doesn't look any different to me , and is certainly not loose. In the Tony clip it's clearly tight. Still you don't see anyone breaking hihat cymbals, and being an in demand session guy in all styles, I doubt Hass' hihat cymbal sound is in question. I guess whatever works for everyone is what matters.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:19 am

Crazy enough, I'm pretty sure Steve was my roommate at PIT for the last month I was there, maybe longer. I'd have to go back and dig through my old Modern Drummers to find the black and white MI ad showing the honors grads from the 92-93 session to be sure, as he graduated with sumpthin' honorary. I've gotta go back to my parents house in Illinois and dig this up as it's killin' me.
Anyway, we used to practice double strokes at insane tempos on our RealFeals for as long as we could. Kind of a crazy endurance exercise. He was pretty advanced then and VERY driven.
Man, I gotta find out.....just don't remember that long ago. Too much Jager between then and now.... :roll:
D.
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:10 pm

I didn't know Hass went to PIT. Is that a good school?
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:07 am

Steve Hass went to Berklee in the 90's. I know because CNN did an interview with him when he was there playing with a trio. I'm not saying he didn't go to pit as well but it seems unlikely...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:45 am

kinkymook wrote:Crazy enough, I'm pretty sure Steve was my roommate at PIT for the last month I was there, maybe longer. I'd have to go back and dig through my old Modern Drummers to find the black and white MI ad showing the honors grads from the 92-93 session to be sure, as he graduated with sumpthin' honorary. I've gotta go back to my parents house in Illinois and dig this up as it's killin' me.
Anyway, we used to practice double strokes at insane tempos on our RealFeals for as long as we could. Kind of a crazy endurance exercise. He was pretty advanced then and VERY driven.
Man, I gotta find out.....just don't remember that long ago. Too much Jager between then and now.... :roll:

Just did a search. The issue is September '93 w/ Tim Alexander on the cover. MIT ad is on page 64. Hass is on the far right holding a Sabian cymbal.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:47 am

T hanks for lookin that up, Clint. I knew it! Crazy... I was on my way out and he had just come in. It was so brief. Would have been great to hang for a year with him..
D.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:32 am

Robert Bluman wrote:I didn't know Hass went to PIT. Is that a good school?

Yeah I don't think Hassy was at PIT, but Berklee for sure, with some friends of mine.
Did he came here since Steve changed the forum ?
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”