Steve Hass new youtube channel!

Manu

Re: Steve Hass new youtube channel!

Postby Manu » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:33 pm

I dig it.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:09 am

robhaerr wrote:OK...I am diggin' the brass or copper snare drum...what is it?

Want one...in a bad way.

Ask him: hassbeatproductions@mac.com
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:17 am

Want one...in a bad way.

My guess would be Copper (from the color and sound), looks hammered, like one of the old(er) Yamaha's.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:46 am

DSOP wrote:

Want one...in a bad way.

Ask him: hassbeatproductions@mac.com

Thanks...email sent...stay tuned.
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:25 am

Going through the boards I see that members are very to quick to judge some of the current greats on the scene. I can't say I get that.
If you go to Steve Hass' site, you'll read that this is a part of a studio workshop that he's offering at his studio in LA. We know him to be an all around player and in the era of Jojo Mayers, Chris Colemans, and Teddy Campbells, I believe he's playing choppy in 1min clip to attract an audience. I could be wrong, but knowing about his playing, thats my guess. Any intelligent musician would know that this video is not what attracted Scofield to him. LOL. I think it's a pretty powerful 1 minute. He is constantly in the studio, he is still playing with Ravi Coltrane, Scofield, and others, so I don't believe the tasty Hass is gone. Now what's wrong with the sound? I just see a drummer making his versatile body of work available to us. Most of the videos are live or studio recordings. I don't mind the sound of the live recordings, they actually tell me a lot from that angle. I can tell he has a very low monitor mix in the transfer videos, and that he's also getting a very full drum sound. It's a very fat backbeat and yet he's barely hitting the drum. For me THIS is the info that I learn from. Seeing him work as a sideman and make the band leaders continue to hire him.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi Robert,
About the sound, nobody said nothing negative about the live sound. It is obvious that it´s a raw sound from a videocamera, maybe with the camera mic saturated by the monitor sound (I think). In my post (shaker video) I just announced that the sound quality (rest of the band) wasn´t "ideal", but it was VERY worthy listening Steve playing.

And about the studio sound...definitely it´s not my favourite drum sound. I´ve listened to Steve in records and live concerts (with MT) and I think that sound is not what I expected. That´s all.

Cheers.
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Robert Bluman wrote:Now what's wrong with the sound?

Absolutely nothing. Like music and art, sound is a subjective art form. If it works for its intended purpose, then it's perfect.

Having some studio engineering/production experience, IMO the studio sound was a little boxy and amateurish....I know that sounds harsh but I sure don't mean it to be. Steve's an amazing player and a super sweet guy- and the studio he's recording in seems very happening- all I'm saying is you never get a second chance to make a first impression, and as far as promotional videos, you probably want to sound your best...in that case, again, IMO only, I would expect a more polished sound. If that makes me an overly opinionated judgemental jerk, that certainly wasn't my intention...but since I'm already sounding like one, I might as well offer some unsolicited constructive criticism which would be to pull the drums out of the corner and more into the center of the room to get rid of the 'boxiness'. Got nothing but love for my drumming brethren... 8-) ;)
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:02 pm

Well I thought those comments did come off that way simply because there's much more to that video than the sound quality. There's usually something malicious behind only mentioning what you don't like. As I wrote earlier though, that seems to be the theme here. I was just in the lama thread and I was embarassed reading some comments about a school started by a historic studio drummer such as Ralph Humphrey. I have too much respect for these greats to speak that way.
Back to the video, I must be deaf because I felt the toms sound beautiful and round. I'm not a sound expert by any means though. I would do things differently if it were my video, both musically and sonically, but that doesn't mean it's not slamming in my opinion.
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:19 am

Robert Bluman wrote:Well I thought those comments did come off that way simply because there's much more to that video than the sound quality.

It's all in the interpretation, bro'...

Robert Bluman wrote:There's usually something malicious behind only mentioning what you don't like.

That's quite a generalization...it's human nature to be critical. If one doesn't like something, it could be as simple as personal preference?

Robert Bluman wrote:As I wrote earlier though, that seems to be the theme here.

How long have you "been here"? A lot of us have been here going on 10 years. By the way, you're starting to sound a little critical yourself.

Robert Bluman wrote:Back to the video, I must be deaf because I felt the toms sound beautiful and round.

You're not deaf. And if you don't like Monet, that doesn't make you blind, either.[/quote]

Robert Bluman wrote:I would do things differently if it were my video, both musically and sonically, but that doesn't mean it's not slamming in my opinion.

Are you being malicious? Didn't think so. That's all we were saying as well.
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:07 am

I emailed Steve Haas about the snare I am drooling over in these clips, and he got back to me very quickly...as he was shopping at Target with his wife...what a cool guy! I hate shopping at Target or any other store...so I can picture him emailing me back while hunched over his iPhone, pushing the cart...fun stuff..."Just a second honey, this dude has and important question about my snare drum..."

Regarding the snare, he sent me a couple of replies...

regarding the snare in these clips...
"The snare is a yamaha copper, not hammered."
so probably one of these...
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical- ... mode=model

regarding the Roy Haynes model...
"I love the Roy Haynes drum! I've used it on 18 recordings and producers love it."
The Yamaha site says it's discontinued...but Memphis Drum Shop says they have one (or more)...
http://memphisdrumshop.com/index.php?ma ... ts_id=9797

I love the internet and guys like this who are willing to talk the schlubs like me!

Return to “Drumming Chat”