Steve Hass new youtube channel!

DSOP

Re: Steve Hass new youtube channel!

Postby DSOP » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:20 am

robhaerr wrote:The Yamaha site says it's discontinued...but Memphis Drum Shop says they have one (or more)..

So, are you going to order it? :)

I'd go for the copper one: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical- ... ode=series

But don't rule out bronze snares either!
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:32 am

DSOP wrote:
robhaerr wrote:The Yamaha site says it's discontinued...but Memphis Drum Shop says they have one (or more)..

I'd go for the copper one: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical- ... ode=series

Very tempted...very tempted....but lots of other expenses right now. I would have to be veeeeeerrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwyyyyyy sneaky, and that means paying cash with stashed gig money. I would have to get someone to order it online from Memphis Drum and pay them...it's been done with car parts....it could be done with a snare drum.

"robhaerr....I haven't seen that snare drum before, where/when/why/how did you get that?!?!?!?!?!?"

"oh.....uh.....this old thing?"

"Wait a minute, robhaerr...you said the same thing about a few guns I see...and where did those engine parts, transmission come from that are taking up space in my garage for the 'wagon....you got some 'splainin' to do...."

Hmmmmmmm......just runnin' the scenario......
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:43 am

robhaerr wrote:
DSOP wrote:

Very tempted...very tempted....but lots of other expenses right now. I would have to be veeeeeerrrrrrrrrrwwwwwwyyyyyy sneaky, and that means paying cash with stashed gig money. I would have to get someone to order it online from Memphis Drum and pay them...it's been done with car parts....it could be done with a snare drum.

"robhaerr....I haven't seen that snare drum before, where/when/why/how did you get that?!?!?!?!?!?"

Check with them to see if it's a seamless copper shell. For a while Yamaha didn't make them that way and that can make all the difference. SH will have had one for a while and I'll bet it's an original spec one!

"oh.....uh.....this old thing?"

"Wait a minute, robhaerr...you said the same thing about a few guns I see...and where did those engine parts, transmission come from that are taking up space in my garage for the 'wagon....you got some 'splainin' to do...."

Hmmmmmmm......just runnin' the scenario......
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Just the other day I was looking for kit examples of this "over talked about" hand technique . I found drummers demonstrating it on the pad, and snare. I found various and conflicting descriptions. The I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od-NStNHI1I on Hass' you tube channel. It's clear, concise, and I love the fact that he does not talk about that triplet moller technique you see everyone play. rather he puts it over a 16th note beat and fast. Very nice, I need a lesson with this guy. Jojo does this extremely well in his dvd too, but he plays on the kit he uses that "mayer technique' to crank out 16th's and 32's, not this moller.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:43 am

The description of one of his uploads...:) >>>

"This album is the reason why I NOW insist on rehearsing before doing a live recording. Still, it has great energy and George and David are brilliant players and I was very lucky to be playing this show with them. Hope you enjoy, George is one of the greatest piano players around today."

>>>
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:05 pm

LOL
He seems like a humble guy. What I find funny is that he even explained why it's a little loose. The best blue note recordings with Elvin Jones, Tony Williams etc, are all loose. They usually mess up all the figures, yet the takes are still classic. I feel that way about this. It's still really great even with the spur of the moment element.
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:14 pm

That was a cool vid. Thanks for sharing.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:58 am

Bob Sheppard-Saxes, Larry Koonse-guitar, Jeff D'Angelo-bass, Steve Hass- drums.
August 4/2011 at Descanso Gardens in Los Angeles. Playing Darek Oles arrangement of All Blues.
>>>

Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:48 pm

I just saw this and had to share. This is some top notch musical interaction. Creative without throwing the band members or getting in the way, foundational, grooving, and musical. Like Scofield said in Modern Drummer magazine, It's all there with Hass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nie-tcGjTvI
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Here Live with John Scofield (audio)
Awesome.

Return to “Drumming Chat”