A Letter from Bob Moses to the Boston Phoenix (2001)

Henry II

Re: A Letter from Bob Moses to the Boston Phoenix (2001)

Postby Henry II » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:Wow, great read. I need to check out some Bob stuff.

Here's some Bob stuff. Based on Bob's standards, I guess this means he invented the paradiddle. If not, he sure owes an apology to whoever did invent it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQHhhDI8wcI
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:11 pm

Haha considering stick control from 1935, and NARD started before that in 1933...

I saw that video when I looked up Bob Moses, not a whole lot of his playing on the tube.
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:49 pm

Here's Moses dueting with a tap dancer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZHVfKMR ... ata_player

Bob's feel is so great.. You got to admit, it'd be easier to hate him if his playing wasn't so good. ;)
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:02 am

Super rad concept.

Gotta be honest though, Jimmy Slide is tearing it apart there, incredible tap dancing.

IMO If you closed your eyes and didn't know who was playing drums, it wouldn't be anything other then average. Just saying...
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Yes you can tell Bob Moses was hurt by Merenda. I must say I agree with almost everything he is saying. The man is thinking on a very high level, and he holds originality in high esteem. I rarely go to see Tribute bands. You can look at it 2 ways. They're exploiting the originator by benefiting financially from their concepts, or they are so appreciative that they feel the need to spread the word. I believe it's more the first one. If you're a decent musician, you'll be able to copy. If you're a great musician, you'll be able to create. Music to me is about creating and being yourself, even if you're a gun for hire. This why when an artist hires a great musician and asks them to play like someone else, it's complete sign that they don't have a clue about making music. Yea, Moses has an attitude and tends to think he's always right. This turns people off to him. I think he has a point here though. Well taken on this end. I like that Miles qoute too! There are a few drummers we talk about in here that rarely make mistakes. Does that mean they rarely make music? I wonder. Who can argue with Miles?
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:12 pm

Robert Bluman wrote: Well taken on this end. I like that Miles qoute too! There are a few drummers we talk about in here that rarely make mistakes. Does that mean they rarely make music? I wonder. Who can argue with Miles?

I always saw it as, they are just so good, you don't notice the mistakes!

The way I was brought up playing, particularly as a drummer, you just can not stop, ever. If you make a mistake you just have to roll with it, after a time the ability becomes innate, and IMO, starts to be where a lot of ideas come from.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:03 am

Well, I play in a tribute band. Here are some of our videos.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query="echoes+of+pink+floyd"

People love the music, it is fun and challenging to play well and BIG and there is enough space to allow for some exploration that wasn't in the original tunes.

I don't feel like I'm using this to rip off people or to cash in on Floyd's fame and hard work, none of us do...but then again, I have pretty much had it with playing for nothing for no one, too old and there is not enough time left in my life for that. The life of a drummer is much different than the life of a singer/songwriter.

But what is it when Roger Waters tours with a band that has no original members other than him? Is it splitting hairs then? DOes it need to be every single member playing every single note?

"Authenticity" is a bunch of shit. Bob Moses comes across as an angry guy. He "knows Mingus" more than you, so there...ah, blooey...
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:18 am

I also think he may have a different perspective when it comes to popular music. In jazz, the whole concept is to be yourself and somewhat fresh and new. What about that tribute band Will Lee has for The Beatles. The Fab Faux. Those guys earn serious money doing that. I don't think Paul or Ringo mind.
bananajou

Postby bananajou » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:07 pm

looks like they did a tribute to pastorius little after his death, and playing an ornette coleman tune
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:50 pm

Good gracious...IMO that group had no chemistry whatsoever. Just wasn't happening. Bob's solo near the end was excellent, though.

Return to “Drumming Chat”