Cheer up HODers!

chris perra

Re: Cheer up HODers!

Postby chris perra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:40 pm

Wow... Vince Neil is the worst singer ever... yuckkkk..
They we're so great when I was 13,... I am old... haha
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:52 pm

moose wrote:I managed to brighten my own day quite a lot by pulling the trigger on these. Picking them up tomorrow.

Congrats! I love Premier, but I miss the lugs and hoops they used in the 70s. They were way ahead of their time.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:10 pm

drum6282 wrote:When things get bad, Gaddabout usually turns it around.

Wow. I'm honored to be the official HoD rodeo clown. I keep telling people I'm going to get a t-shirt that says "comic relief," but I'm sort of terrified I'd have to live up that all the time.

Anyway, *tip of the hat* to you, drum6282. ;)
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:28 pm

Repost from weekend chatty pertaining to the "negative increase":

There's been some interesting discussions going on here lately, I have to say. A lot of folks are raising the "OMG ITS GETTING NEGATIVE HERE" flag though, but I gotta tell ya, I like it. It keeps things interesting and as long as folks are cool and respectful, everything should be OK. However since we're mostly all passionate about the topic of music and drumming, emotions creep in when folks disagree.
It's OK.
We have a good thing going here. The internet is a big place and we have our own level of <whatever> here. Be open to opposing opinions. They are valuable sometimes.

People that disagree with folks:
In the name of forum longevity, please choose your words carefully and remember that there's real people on the other end of each machine rendering this forum the world over. Be nice. Be coo. Be respectful. If you find you don't respect someone's opinion I'm sure you can muster up the strength to not be a dick. If you're not sure what that means you might not belong here.

People that think a new person is here to stir the pot, is an old forum member, is only trolling, etc:
I have not had the same reaction that a lot of folks have had regarding lengthy posts, speculating, whatever. It is after all possible that you might not be right about your perception of the business, how drumming works on a professional level at the upper AAA levels. We all like sticking up for our heroes when someone insinuates that they may be struggling in some way. Just because someone suggests that <your hero> might <do this thing you don't believe at all> It might not be trolling. It might actually be true. No one knows for sure, so we ALL end up speculating (whether we are aware of it or not). After all, those that know don't speak, and those that speak don't know (some of the time).

To everyone:
Here are some suggestions for when someone says something and you think they're full of shit:

"I think you're wrong, here's why."
"I think you're grossly mis-informed, my information is:"
"I guess you might be right, but I always thought that:"

Finally, if someone has a problem with someone else, PM me or email me.

Drumming is awesome. The internet is awesome. Sharing and learning from other people is awesome. However, since we all feel passionate about things we discuss, in order to not burn the place down it will take EFFORT on all of our parts to be cool, mature, and enjoy it. If you have zero motive to to do that, then don't post. Just read.
Rod

Postby Rod » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:39 pm

Regarding Julia Fordham's 'Manhattan Skyline': if you can find the original studio version of this song from the album 'Porcelain', you'll hear the fill that Vinnie was approximating in the live clip. The original version was played by Manu Katche and I remember being taken by his fill also way back when I first heard this song in 1989 (?!).
moose

Postby moose » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:07 am

DSOP wrote:...I miss the lugs and hoops they used in the 70s.

The rounded die-cast hoops are still available on the top-of-the-line drums. The Series Elite is heart-stoppingly beautiful, but the prices are beyond my wallet.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:09 am

Gaddabout wrote:
drum6282 wrote:When things get bad, Gaddabout usually turns it around.

Wow. I'm honored to be the official HoD rodeo clown. I keep telling people I'm going to get a t-shirt that says "comic relief," but I'm sort of terrified I'd have to live up that all the time.

Anyway, *tip of the hat* to you, drum6282. ;)

I'm not agree with you at all Drum6282, Matt is one of our sweetiest member here, great sens of humor too.

Anyway, have a great week-end everybody, enjoy. :)
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Klemme

Postby Klemme » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:07 am

I think there have been alot of posts and discussions throughout the years that most was due to a fact of Frustration concerning the business.

We've been Bashing Gospel Chops, Female Drummers with Vocal Abilities and so on.. But rarely personal harrasments or flame filled threads.

They've are rarely occur due to the fact, that most from this forum has the same agenda and musical/artistic profile.

I love this forum. I remember beeing a 18 year old kid and joined this forum. Welck/Vinnie was the big guys on the forum, and we all were busy sharring Audiofiles and Bootlegs on the forum, and finding Dime links to share. But once in a while. Very important topics came along. There was a young talented drummer who blogged here about his venture to Berklee in Boston from London in the UK. Most of the content had a negative vibe. But it also enlightened me with information that was the letters weight worth in Gold, that going from Copenhagen to Boston, NYC or LA was NOT the thing for me, and sharing these experiences here has been an extremely valuable and life educating source for each individual here... Especially the Young guys like me ( bah, 25 yrs old now, but hey! :) )

The business we are in, either Professional or on a Amateur scale really makes up alot of dense Air we can't get out within our personal network n'or Facebook etc. This forum is a good place to share your experiences, bad or good - It doesn't really matter - Some extremely gifted drummers with a long career is here in support, and great people in general to give a new perspective on your situation as a whole.

There was another thread, which was a about NYC scene about a young drummer here who was considering moving there.. The info we all got out of it was an invaluable and honest flow of information about the business! God bless this forum!
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:29 pm

I've been called a hater for a post that was not meant for that.
It was the 1st time in 10 years here that I posted something that could involve advice interpretation on a personal level (maybe badly worded since English is not my mother tongue).
I'll then stick to what I've always done: facts, things I like, nothing personal.

So back to positiveness!
Nice kit Moose!!

Here are pics of my baby kit taken on my last gig. Got those Catalina Clubs for a steal ($399) on a clearance sale on music123.com, with a free Takamine semi-acoustic guitar as a bonus (?!) that I sold back for $200!
Really love that little kit which I end up getting out more than my main big kit.
Lightweight, sounds great, nice look of the silver sparkle under the spotlights.
I keep it at home for my teaching and my students (mostly heavy rockers) dig it and don't understand how such a sound can be pulled out of this little thing.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:41 pm

I grew up where these guys are from and attended several summerschools where they were the instructors as a kid. Their attitude towards music is one I can relate to. In just two weeks they will come and play where I live now and their new drummer is a dear childhood friend of mine.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVUvGdGCSYc&feature=related[/youtube]

Return to “Drumming Chat”