VINNIE COLAIUTA: New CD--Finally, a winner

jean krupa

VINNIE COLAIUTA: New CD--Finally, a winner

Postby jean krupa » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Vinnie plays on ALL tracks.

If you dug "Surafacing" by John Beasley, you'll surely dig this one. Open, not fusion-y, not layered like the Mark Varney products, has a J Baron, Blade vibe to it, but played by the only one who can play anyone's music and make it interesting....VC.

There is a website that you can sample all tunes. I just ordered my copy from Amazon today. It's on the way.

From Kermit about Vinnie:

Colaiuta filled in drum parts that the composer’s charts left wide open. “The more you listen to this album, the more you’ll hear his magic. I don’t even know what the hell he’s playing on ‘Four Hearts.’ It stays in time but moves around. Vinnie always has something like that going on. It’s no surprise – back in college I watched him sight read Charles Ives scores.”

I do have a website for a free give away...Good luck for those interested.
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=73281
Manu

Re: VINNIE COLAIUTA: New CD--Finally, a winner

Postby Manu » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:52 pm

I dont want to sound lazy but can you give the name of the CD or a link? can't find anything in your post.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Oops...My bad...I was so excited about this CD, I forgot to identify it.
Dah !!

Kermit Driscoll "Reveille" w/ Bill Frisel
Here is the link, and you can sample all tunes.
Thanks.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/reveille-r2124660
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:32 pm

I think Kermit and Vinnie played together a lot in Boston back in the day. There was a message on Vinnie's website a few years ago asking for donations to help Kermit pay for his fight against Lyme disease. I wonder if he managed to beat it.

UPDATE: I just read the info at the allaboutjazz link. Looks like Kermit's better now.

FYI, I recommend everyone rent and watch the documentary "Under Our Skin". It's all about Lyme disease. Amazing and very surprising.

http://www.underourskin.com/
Suspiria

Postby Suspiria » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:01 pm

Liking the sample of "Thank You" a lot. Thanks for posting.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:03 pm

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my brain around the idea these guys were once kids cranking out Bee Gees covers in Boston dance clubs trying to make ends meet. Sort of like Einstein as a patent clerk and high school dropout, or whatever the legend is.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:09 am

Clips sound great! I liked that Beasley record too. I've heard Vinnie in too many not so great fusion settings, so this is great. Beautiful sounding drumming and I always loved Frisell too.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:57 am

The playing sounds good, but it sounds like they threw up a couple of room mics for the drum sound. =(
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:09 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:The playing sounds good, but it sounds like they threw up a couple of room mics for the drum sound. =(

I'm pretty sure that you're talking about the sound quality of the stream from the website. I've got pretty good speakers and there's no way they'd record something that shitty sounding!
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:40 pm

thanks for posting this! i'm in love with Bill Frisel's stuff! BF's music is not my taste at all. but for some reason i dig it. puts me at peace or puts me in a place i lease expect. having vinnie add to this is just a dream come true. great combo of musicians on this. disfarmer, good dog, happy man, history, mystery are current favorites right now.

love the sound of the cymbals vinnie is playing. so different...

Return to “Drumming Chat”