Drummerworld's "Top 10 Drummers" UPDATED to Top 15 *

Mark P

Re: Drummerworld's "Top 10 Drummers of all time"

Postby Mark P » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:33 pm

Henry II wrote:
Kurtis wrote:so true rodge. i could go less than 10 myself. there are musicians out there that have rocked your world upside down and then some. then you have the ones that influence you enough to make a big impact.

how about top 3

My drumming influences/inspirations were influential more for the music they played on than for the drumming itself, with the exception of Buddy. Among them would be: Philly Joe, Billy Cobham, Steve Gadd, Harvey Mason, Bernard Purdie and Jeff Porcaro (with Steely Dan), among a few others. Buddy was a completely different - totally drummistic - experience/influence/inspiration for me, as was Joe Morello who had the best recorded "drum sound" I've ever heard.

Henry II,

You deserve a big hug for that. I am totally with you.

I listen to Carlos play with JT, Jeff play with Boz Scaggs, Steve Gadd play with Michael McDonald, Bernard Purdie play with Steely Dan, Gary Mallaber play with Van Morrison, Ringo play with The Beatles, Dave Weckl play with Michel Camilo, Steve Jordan play with John Mayer and THAT alone makes those guys my heroes. What they do to the music, how they make me feel when they play simple (or not so simple) things and leave me shaking my head in disbelief...

MP
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:08 am

OF COURSE great drumming goes with great music, it's all about the music anyway.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:51 am

Mark P wrote:
Henry II wrote:
Kurtis wrote:so true rodge. i could go less than 10 myself. there are musicians out there that have rocked your world upside down and then some. then you have the ones that influence you enough to make a big impact.

how about top 3

My drumming influences/inspirations were influential more for the music they played on than for the drumming itself, with the exception of Buddy. Among them would be: Philly Joe, Billy Cobham, Steve Gadd, Harvey Mason, Bernard Purdie and Jeff Porcaro (with Steely Dan), among a few others. Buddy was a completely different - totally drummistic - experience/influence/inspiration for me, as was Joe Morello who had the best recorded "drum sound" I've ever heard.

Henry II,

You deserve a big hug for that. I am totally with you.

I listen to Carlos play with JT, Jeff play with Boz Scaggs, Steve Gadd play with Michael McDonald, Bernard Purdie play with Steely Dan, Gary Mallaber play with Van Morrison, Ringo play with The Beatles, Dave Weckl play with Michel Camilo, Steve Jordan play with John Mayer and THAT alone makes those guys my heroes. What they do to the music, how they make me feel when they play simple (or not so simple) things and leave me shaking my head in disbelief...

MP

Thanks Mark! There are a ton of great drummer/musicians who get very little recognition (except from wonks like us), who have played on, and been a big part of, some great music. I started playing relatively late in life only when I met a friend who was a drummer, and I saw drumming as an easy way to be a part of the music. Sure my tastes shifted and expanded as I got deeper in to the "technique" of musicianship. But, all I ever really wanted to do was to be a part of the music.

Speaking of Ringo, I never really understood his drumming. It always seemed like something I would never do or think of, and some of it seemed very awkward to try to replicate. Not long ago, I saw an interview of Ringo online in which he eplained that he's a lefty, and that, although he plays righty on a right hand kit, his fills and phrasing are played with a left hand lead. That was my "ah-ha" moment about Ringo.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
mikebxb

Postby mikebxb » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:08 pm

Sam wrote:Only just noticed this on the site the other day. Pretty spot on if you ask me!

(in alphabetical order...)

Louie Bellson
John Bonham
Dennis Chambers
Vinnie Colaiuta
Steve Gadd
Elvin Jones
Gene Krupa
Buddy Rich
Dave Weckl
Tony Williams

If we are going drummers that reshaped drumming future & not just fantastic chops ....well... I submit Chambers, Weckl will be lost in the shuffle 100 years from now (this is not a diss on their fantastic abilities)....& would add Jeff Porcaro and David Garibaldi. or maybe the first guy that started beating on a hollow log to communicate to others...
james

Postby james » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:32 pm

i disagree. i definitely think weckl and chambers belong on that list. i would even say that generally those 2 have more direct influence on today's drummers than anyone else. mainly because i think both brought very original and creative sounds at the time AND were attainable by others. not the case with guys like vinnie, tony, buddy, etc.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:53 pm

james wrote:i disagree. i definitely think weckl and chambers belong on that list. i would even say that generally those 2 have more direct influence on today's drummers than anyone else. mainly because i think both brought very original and creative sounds at the time AND were attainable by others. not the case with guys like vinnie, tony, buddy, etc.

i dont think i would separate weckl and perhaps chambers from tony, buddy, vinnie in terms of attainability. in fact, there are def tony and buddy clones (cindy blackman for instance). full on clones for vinnie, weckl - not really. some of their licks have been copped, but not the whole package. im not saying cindy is tony, but she has got the package down more so than ive seen anyone with regards to vinnie or weckl.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:41 pm

Andrew<3'sVinnie wrote:
james wrote:full on clones for vinnie, weckl - not really. some of their licks have been copped, but not the whole package. im not saying cindy is tony, but she has got the package down more so than ive seen anyone with regards to vinnie or weckl.

Ummmm ... mini Vinnie anyone?

“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
mikebxb

Postby mikebxb » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:59 pm

Gaddabout wrote:
Andrew<3'sVinnie wrote:
james wrote:full on clones for vinnie, weckl - not really. some of their licks have been copped, but not the whole package. im not saying cindy is tony, but she has got the package down more so than ive seen anyone with regards to vinnie or weckl.

Ummmm ... mini Vinnie anyone?

WOW!
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:08 pm

Mini maybe but not even close. Vinnie is not just about playing staccato with odd phrasing and constantly loud dynamics. He is very good but it's not Vinnie. Like I said, stylistically there are similarities, but it's not all the same.
Last edited by Andrew<3'sVinnie on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Dave HATES to be called mini-Vinnie and said/wrote it many times.
I hope he won't see that thread.

Just a great drummer...(and canadian, that explains a lot! ;) )

Return to “Drumming Chat”