Drummerworld's "Top 10 Drummers" UPDATED to Top 15 *

Yussuf

Re: Drummerworld's "Top 10 Drummers of all time"

Postby Yussuf » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:38 am

Yeah, just like Rodge said, maybe we should have an official HOD poll of top 10 drummers. Who counts the votes?

My list (in no order):

Elvin Jones
Tony Williams
Steve Gadd
Max Roach
Vinnie Colaiuta
John Bonham
Billy Cobham
Paul Motian
Papa Jo Jones
Stewart Copeland
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Pocketplayer wrote:Image

...are STUPID!

Let's reduce an artist's life to a roundhouse of ten individuals so we'll have something to say at the next party.

UGH!

It's great for late night TV...but not for the drummers who gather to talk drums. John Bonham is better than Ian Paice
because Ian Paice is better than Keith Moon, because Keith Moon is better than Bill Ward because Bill Ward is better than
Doanne Perry because Doanne Perry is better than Mitch Mitchell because Mitch Mitchell is better than Terry Bozzio because
Terry Bozzio played roto toms in the 80's and sounds like a girl when he speaks.

HELP ME! :shock:

I reduce to 10 because it's almost endless, but yeah, I guess it's stupid...
But, for my own influence, inspiration, I could go easy for less more than 10, even if it's stupid for you...
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:32 pm

so true rodge. i could go less than 10 myself. there are musicians out there that have rocked your world upside down and then some. then you have the ones that influence you enough to make a big impact.

how about top 3
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:47 pm

Unlike most who have posted so far, i think the list is pretty spot on. Id pick Bellson over Cobham because Ive listened to Matterhorn. Neil is an obvious honorable mention as is Stewart Copeland, but the 10 listed i really think are the 10 that drummers across generations and international land lines fully associate with drumming. I dont think this list was a matter of opinion. I think it was based on the impact that these individuals had on the drummers they influenced. These were all individuals who greatly affected the lives of the drummers that listened to them more than just being someone"s favorite drummer. I mean, I dont like him, but nobody has mentioned Ringo.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Who's Ringo?
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 am

Yeah, as drummer of one of the most influent group, Ringo could be mentioned for sure.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:55 am

The preoccupation with what should be is estimable only when the respect for what is has been exhausted.
percusski

Postby percusski » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:43 am

All very interesting, but I must agree Cobham should be near the top of the list, I can't imagine any serious drummers list over the past 40 years that wouldn't include him as either an influence or someone who they acknowledge as redefining drumming, probably most on the top 10 drummers from the original list too.
I'm all for guys like Virgil being on a list as they are trying to push the boundaries of the instrument, whether one likes their playing or not is irrespective, however i'm not so sure he is an innovator. I would put someone like Pete Zeldman in that category.
Klemme

Postby Klemme » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:23 pm

Jeff Porcaro
Vinnie Colaiuta
Steve Gadd
Levon Helm
Bernard Purdie
Tony Williams
Joe Morello
Billy Cobham
Ahmir ?uestlove Thompson
Elvin Jones
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:56 pm

Vinnie
Weckl
Gadd

Tony
Elvin
Buddy

Copeland
Porcaro

Cobham
Dennis

(so hard to let Ersko, Max, Carlos, Gary, Purdie, Al Jackson, Jordan, Collins, Omar, Jack, Hal and many other out...)

Return to “Drumming Chat”