website suggestions

john lamb

website suggestions

Postby john lamb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:01 pm

Hey - I'm about to build a website for lessons / performance. Any suggestions, in general?

My first choice will be the URL name. (I might go with 2 URLs linked to each other)
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
Juan Expósito

Re: website suggestions

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Then your website name should be www.YOURNAME.com

Avoid drumlesson.com or this_site_will_change_the_drumming_world.com names or anything like that.

Something about the visual aspect:

Keep it simple, easy to navigate and read.
That doesn´t mean that it has to be "boring".
Colours combination, fonts and visual "purity" are more important than people think.
Give unity to all the pages of your site, using the same one-two fonts/colours, aspects...
This principles apply to any type of site (proffesional or not)
Of course, this is my opinion...and of course there are others styles...

And I would avoid "useless" intros to the main page, or something too flashy.

Good luck...
Sam

Postby Sam » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Be yourself. I'll sooner watch videos by guys like Joe Crabtree and Max Sansalone than guys who act like they're trying to sell you Creatine.
And, if you are planning on having a few free videos on there, try to make them more than 30 seconds long if possible.....i can only speak for myself, but i think the few extra minutes spent demonstrating that you can comprehensively deconstruct a concept, in a personable tone, is a much better route than the "teaser trailer" one......which, invariably, will always give it the air of being a moneymaking pet-project.

Best of luck dude, keep us posted ;)
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:14 pm

I agree with the suggestions from Juan and Sam wholeheartedly. Ease of navigation is key. I always enjoy a short bio and gear list. Good transcriptions of the lessons, if possible, add a ton of "production value".

Names to avoid:

CellBlockOfDrumming.com

FlatOfDrumming.com

CastleOfDrumming.com

AdobeHutOfDrumming.com

ApartmentOfDrumming.com

TeepeeOfDrumming.com

Squatter'sShackOfDrumming.com
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:04 pm

Ha ha .. I own Howtoplaydrumsinanhour.com..

Haven't really done anything with it yet... one day...
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:39 pm

howtoplaydrumsinanhour.com .... thats good. I wish I had thought of that one... How about howtoplaydrumsinahalfhour.com ?

I was thinking of doing something like drumlessonsportland.com ... pretty inane name, but it helps with the search traffic. I could do 2 names and link them.

Johnlamb.com is taken. I could also do JohnLambDrums.com, but its also pretty bland. I was also thinking about dontpractice.com as a gimmick. (The idea being that when people say the word 'practice' it conjures up the idea of smply repeating something thousands and thousands of times. Instead, I advocate a question/answer mode - figure out what you need to be able to do, and then figure out how to learn to do it. Often this is not done most efficiently through simple repetition, though there is a lot of that.)
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:18 am

Is this like a pay for lessons site, or just a general lessons site, or to advertise your own personal teaching..?
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:38 am

for web design, have a look at some cheap templates....

http://templates.entheosweb.com/Music.asp

far from being the ideal solution, this is still a good option for those who don´t know a thing about design
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Its for my private teaching. I will also use it to market some music education materials some friends and I are creating.

Nice templates! btw - I also found ohmyflash.com which has a thousands of flash templates.
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:10 pm

so I registered http://www.johnlambdrums.com and http://www.drumlessonsportland.com

Someone grabbed up dontpractice.com after I posted it here... seems someone thought it was a good idea afterall :o :(

I'm now looking around for some good templates... anyone have any suggestions for drummer/lesson pages that think are particularly well done?
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums

Return to “Drumming Chat”