Here is an Idea

drummer from Kansas

Here is an Idea

Postby drummer from Kansas » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:55 pm

I am studying and practicing Stick Control and would like it if Hudson Music or Alfred make a DVD about the book.

I just think it would be helpful.
YamahaPlayer

Re: Here is an Idea

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:06 pm

What would be your question?

The book is about as simple as you can get. Progressively formatted and highly approachable - if not slightly daunting. There are countless videos already online and DVD's demonstrating basic technique and rudiments. Check out VicFirth.com's educational section for instance.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:53 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:What would be your question?

The book is about as simple as you can get. Progressively formatted and highly approachable - if not slightly daunting. There are countless videos already online and DVD's demonstrating basic technique and rudiments. Check out VicFirth.com's educational section for instance.

Actually, there's a long tradition of teaching drum set out of the book, too, first started by Alan Dawson I think. It's applications are many, and the book has lived on because of it. There are MANY snare drum books out there, but Stick Control has multi-dimensions because of the unwritten history of drum set application. I know I would love to see someone who studied with Dawson bring this wisdom to popular light. Years ago I read about this history in Modern Drummer and sought out instructors who went through those drills, but could find none in my area.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:06 pm

Joe Morello's methods come from Stick Control. He showed me many things, just like Alan Dawson with Syncopation.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Jim Richman wrote:Joe Morello's methods come from Stick Control. He showed me many things, just like Alan Dawson with Syncopation.

There ya go! I couldn't remember my history well. I'd LOVE of Joe Morello video on Stick Control applications. Thank God he's still around to show us!
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:40 pm

Yes! I think that because Stick Control AND Syncopation are so open-ended and that there a so many different approaches to those books that it warrants a DVD . Perhaps along the lines of the brush thing that Steve Smith did. Doesn't really need to be a who's who of drumming, just anyone that has a good way to interpret these (or any other) texts. I'd certainly be interested.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:43 pm

British teacher Bob Armstrong has written a great Stick Control INSTRUCTIONAL PDF.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Joe has a few DVD/VHS's out.

To be honest I don't think many people have even gone through the book in it's entirety as directed by Stone. If grid you accents through, at least the first pages of stickings, and then start playing with note values. Combined with even simple drumset applications IE, Right hand tom, accents on toms, accents on kick/hats, etc starts to become nearly infinite possibilities.

Edit: That PDF is exactly is what I mean. And he doesn't even talk about gridding the accents.

Pete Lockett wrote a PDF on his site that is all symmetrical stickings in various meter's, super cool as well.

http://www.petelockett.com/2006/pages/s ... stick.html
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:03 pm

Very cool...amazing how some of us are in the same place...I just searched to find a few pages of SControl and got the book on pdf in very raw form. I think those of us into this phase should stay connected...start a blog or something and we can share how we are using the material. just thinking out loud.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com

Return to “Drumming Chat”