Shufflin' into the week...

robhaerr

Shufflin' into the week...

Postby robhaerr » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:04 am

My time living in Texas in the mid-80s showed me that California boys (of which I am a native, born in Pasadena and have lived 50 out of my 53 years) do not know how to shuffle properly. I see way too many guys ruining Stevie Ray Vaughn tunes and others by shuffling with their right hand, but not their left...loosing the feel for the rest of the band.

I have loved playing this tune to help develop a left-handed shuffle, and what can go "inside" the shuffle with some added strokes...this Zoom Q3 HD is a great tool for filming gigs! This is from the gig on Friday night...all went well until my right hand tripped on my snare mic at the end...

I would love to see others who have some shuffle in their bag...I need more ideas!
Robert Schwieger

Re: Shufflin' into the week...

Postby Robert Schwieger » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:43 am

How about shufflin' using the left foot.
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:31 pm

I LOVE Steve Gadd. Even in that poor-sounding crap-quality video, you can tell the guy is swinging hard.

Love him love him love him love him.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:16 pm

robhaerr wrote:I have loved playing this tune to help develop a left-handed shuffle, and what can go "inside" the shuffle with some added strokes

I definitely prefer your line of thinking and consider those quarter notes on the ride/bell the right way to go. Let the left hand and left foot provide the swing element of the shuffle ... always seemed hipper to me.

As for Gadd, dude has about 50 ways to swing the shuffle. Every time I hear him I swear he's come up with some cool little nuance to a style that has been boring drummers for 100 years. I've read where Robert Plant said Bonham would get so tired of blues shuffles in practice he'd start playing a waltz to let them know he was done with the shuffle for the day.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Cheggs

Postby Cheggs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:51 pm

Robert Schwieger wrote:How about shufflin' using the left foot.

Pure class.
And is Steve Gadd giving a clinic in someone's house?!?

Return to “Drumming Chat”