DAVE WECKL - The thread about Dave

bensdrums

Re: DAVE WECKL - The thread about Dave

Postby bensdrums » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:13 pm

I signed up for Weckl's online school while this whole quarantine business is going on. It's opened my eyes quite a bit... he really does not hit the drums hard. He doesn't prance around them either, but he's very relaxed and super conscious of efficiency when it comes to ergonomics and talks a lot about that (as he has been for years now). He'll be playing well into an age where most have to stop.

The recording, mixing, and production stuff in the school is gold btw. He gets way inside that stuff.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:17 am

Would be cool if all those who took a 1:1 w/Dave shared their experience...
I think Steve did a few times...I remember once long ago.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:04 pm

Pocketplayer wrote:Would be cool if all those who took a 1:1 w/Dave shared their experience...

I'm sure you could join his online school, or even take private lessons with him, if you so desired. Dave's private lessons are surely tailored to the individual, so they may or may not be relevant to your situation.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:42 pm

More like 1:12 in my case.

Dave is fairly consistent in his approach and focus, though. He's old school in the way that he wants people to find their own style, so the fundamentals and overall concept would probably be the same.

To get anything special for personal lessons, like with anyone, it would probaby have to be consistent for a while.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:02 pm

A great teacher is able to quickly analyze a student's playing and recommend slight adjustments/refinements. He would be able to point out things that the student is either unaware of, or unable to correct on their own. He should then prescribe exercises to address these shortcomings.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Yeah the Dave online school is great. I really need to dig into the mixing portion.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon May 11, 2020 12:33 am

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue May 12, 2020 12:26 pm

"A lot of young drummers miss is that phrasing thing...because if you're not coming from jazz..."

He said what I felt...no point in naming drummers...usually taken as a negative over concept,
but the "phrasing" today seems more about one's practice routine licks. A recent video
brought this to mind...execution was spot on, but relentless fast tom rolls mixed with
double kicks. Dave's "maturity" is off the charts...go back to MasterPlan...he was machine-
like in his precision back then...today, he flows like water and it is refreshing!

(side note: some of the breaks in that first vid song are TOUGH...to be able to read
at this level always impresses the heck out of me!)

So Dave said he chose his ride out of 5 tries...that comes down to HIS ear...THAT is the
one...but where does THAT come from? Subconscious? Listening to 1000s of hours of
good music? I'd almost bet that if he picked any of the 5 rides nobody would blink an eye.

I then thought, if it wasn't for being a drummer, would many of us listen to this style of
music? It is almost never played on "radio" or in pop culture. It is a style long gone but
very relevant. Unless a family member was a musician playing a specific style of music...
Simon's dad play New Orleans Jazz for the most part...we are framed by pop culture.
In High School (if there is a music dept) they pull out older classics to learn...graduate
to the college jazz band...but then IF you risk the next step...we are back to pop
culture unless you are locked into say jazz and are willing to play night clubs the rest of
your life. There's the cruise ship route for recent grads as well...all the non-pop
practice pays off there as well as reading charts.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu May 21, 2020 1:12 pm

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri May 22, 2020 1:38 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”