DAVE WECKL - The thread about Dave

beat hit

Re: DAVE WECKL - The thread about Dave

Postby beat hit » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:13 pm

langmick wrote:This was a drumming game changer.

100% :!: :!:

I was studying percussions in college a year after that came out. PBS broadcasted the gig and this guy recorded it on VHS... That tape circulated around and around... Nice memories...

That disgruntled dude made that YT video mainly because he was pissed at Orkin. His shit says more about him than it does DW IMO.

I still listen to that first Elektric Band album now and then, great moments throughout. I love Carlos Rios on that too... Memories, memories...
Last edited by beat hit on Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:37 am

Yeah, Carlos Rios and Scott Henderson play incredible on the 1st Elektric Band album.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:44 am

I'm old enough to remember when older drummer in the late 70s early 80s dressed and acted like Gadd, played Yamaha, played his sticks, had his feel and attitude. I took lessons at WVU and the teacher there was so late 70s Gadd. I came in with rock and roll and Neil and all that...we didn't hit it off lol.

When Weckl came around, guys started to pick up on his stuff and use the same sizes and sounds, the burgundy Yamahas. Daves use of triggers, I don't remember many playing them in that fashion with such precision and melodic concepr.

The move from Gadd to Weckl was more incredible time and precision and more splashes and higher pitched drums all around.

This is just to say that's the kind of influence he had across the world.

Strangely enough it seems Vinnie came later, after Dave, but he was around before him IIRC.

Fun to remember all that.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:54 pm

Yeah, Vinnie was almost a "veteran" compare to DW, but the fame and the hip were with DW, that hip was was good and terrible for him, his celebrity came with a lot of jealousy from a lot of musicians, famous or not.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:54 pm

Rodge wrote:Yeah, Vinnie was almost a "veteran" compare to DW, but the fame and the hip were with DW, that hip was was good and terrible for him, his celebrity came with a lot of jealousy from a lot of musicians, famous or not.

I came across 1984 Zildjian Day in NY around 1987 and Vinnie's performance had a HUGE impact on me, more than DW actually.

Saw Dennis live with Scofield, Ed Uribe with Tiger Okoshi, Kim Plainfield with Didier Lockwood that same year... All very significant personal milestones... Precious memories...
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:05 pm

Was thinking about the difference between Dave and Steve.

Gadd was known for his pop work. 50 ways, Chuck E, Electric Slide. People had to dig a little to find him on jazz records.

Dave was a jazzer, pretty much. He didn't have a signature groove that was on AM radio over and over. Chick is where I heard him first.

That's how I remember it. Dave's stuff was much slicker and flash, Gadd was stealthy. Everyone gonna hate on the guy who is perfect.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:11 pm

langmick wrote:Was thinking about the difference between Dave and Steve.

Gadd was known for his pop work. 50 ways, Chuck E, Electric Slide. People had to dig a little to find him on jazz records.

Dave was a jazzer, pretty much. He didn't have a signature groove that was on AM radio over and over. Chick is where I heard him first.

That's how I remember it. Dave's stuff was much slicker and flash, Gadd was stealthy. Everyone gonna hate on the guy who is perfect.

Depends on the person--I first heard Gadd when he was on the Field Band, 1970. I met him and hung with him one afternoon.
Then I heard him on the White Elephant album----then his first album with Chuck and Gap (Diana in the Autum Wind---then on all
those CTI albums playing straight ahead with Chet Baker, Jim Hall, Paul Desmond, Joe Farrell, Early Grusin stuff--then Gap's solo
albums playing both straight ahead and fusion style pop.
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:14 am

Wow, that's going back!

A rerun of SNL with Paul Simon playing 50 ways was the first time I saw him.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:02 pm

C.T.A. Wek kills on this tune. The solo is sublime.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:53 pm

Yeah that's some pretty elite drumming from him on there. Maybe even peak Weck.

Return to “Drumming Chat”