A question of psychology

whitehousec

A question of psychology

Postby whitehousec » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:32 am

Guys,

How do any of you playt a gig and not let the events of the day or whatever's in your head cloud your playing?

It's something I'm trying to get rid of and finding it quite tough. I'm playing a lot of jazz at the moment and finding it difficult to concentrate through a whole night and also just simply empty my head to enjoy the playing.

Wondering if anyone has any advice on anything that's helped them?
langmick

Re: A question of psychology

Postby langmick » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:16 am

Take a walk during the break, use a self-motivating phrase to say to yourself like "my mind is my own to control" or something like that. Meditate and tell yourself that you accept that you are feeling flustered or upset, that tends to help defuse the situation. Realize that you must go out there regardless of the situation and play your ass off, and that doing so is a shitload of fun. Also realize that you have a set of problems before that need attention and immerse yourself into that, and tihs will help you get your mind off things...maybe go over your gear one last time, do some stretching or a page out of Wilcoxon's AASD. Understand that getting a hold of yourself is something you need to do to be excellent, and put yourself in Vinnie's or Neil Peart's shoes...would they let trifling stuff get in the way? Allow the negative emotions to power your playing, but always with control...you should get rid of your problems before going on stage using whatever tricks you have at your disposal.

I've seen guys get so wound up and stay that way through an entire gig to bad effect, and this wasan't in some metal/punk band...these were high strung people who didn't have a handle on their emotions...sometimes everyone doesn't have a handle on their emotions, sure, but you should get to a point in adulthood where you are in control.

Been there, done that.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:53 pm

if you're playing a jazz gig, first be glad that you'r playing a jazz gig. Then be glad you're getting paid for it. Third, I'd simply try to use the gig to listen. Listen to what everyone else is playing. just play time. I'd guess that it would be a learning experience. You'll hear more and get more ideas by just listening. Stop doing what you always do for the gig and just listen. it's the first step in re-invention. You might unknowingly re-invent the way you play. And in that, you'll take your mind out of whatever space it's in. This simply task will take your mind away from where ever it is. But you have to want to do it. You have to want to learn and want to get your head out of whatever state its in.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:16 pm

The pros definitely have this skill, don't they? I'm far from being a pro, but I go through this process before I play:

- Warm up, just focusing on getting loose and breathing properly. Lots of deep breaths. Lower my heart rate and blood pressure.

- Get the band laughing. Laughter is another kind of music. It puts the heart and mind in the right place.

- Remind myself of the passion I had when I started and how lucky I am to be able to do something so many others talk about and dream about but never get to this point. Making music is its own reward. I remind myself of that every time I play. For some reason it works for me to shake off the things of the world and just make music. Folks at the HoD hang will tell you I'm no great shakes with the chops, but I'm constantly amazed at what comes out of me when the music is playing and I'm getting lost inside of it. That's where I try to live every time I'm on stage, whether I'm getting paid or not.

I've had a bit of tragedy in my life. There are people who are far worse off than me, but I know what real pain feels like. Music is where I go to escape from all of that. It's my fortress of solitude. I encourage you to let your mind and heart wander in that direction and think about every time you go on stage or even when you sit and practice.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:04 am

What is it that you are thinking about? Is it doing you taxes, trouble at home. Or focusing on a hiccup or mistake playing wise you may have made?

To get in a zone it takes practice, Sometimes it's focusing on a bass line or guitar part,. Or maybe just your drum part focusing on the subdivisions.
Ideally you're focus will be on your band.. Or the pulse/subdivisions..

I equate it to driving a car,.. There's a difference between trying to drive attentively, paying heed to everything, and Zoning out while driving.
Both get you from point A to B, in some cases exactly the same way, as far as the car getting there safely...Is it better to be really focused or on auto pilot.. I dunno..

I suppose If you were a race car driver focused would be better.. But that skill would have to be developed over time you wouldn't naturally have the focus and skill on the first day. However not dying is a good incentive to being focused..

You'd have to develop it over time, Try a song or 2 then a set, then a night..
It's about creating a state of mind and to get there you need to be consistent with it. Almost like working on a new technique/grip or seat height/snare height.
You just can't flick a switch and have it down. But if you develop it over time bit by bit eventually you'll do it automatically..

For me distraction can come from my drum set setup, lack of facility on the drums,. if someone is playing something that i want to comp or play off of but I don't have the sticking or chops to pull it off,.. I can be thinking about it. All of those things can pull me out of the moment...

I'd also equate playing music, especially Jazz to having a conversation,... In that scenario how deep a conversation are you having?,. When you talk with someone or a group of people are you committed to what they/you are saying or just going through the motions? I'm guilty from time to time of not giving my full attention to people I talk to and I would have to make a serious effort to make sure my commitment to every conversation was fully dedicated...

That's what we would be trying to do... Easier said than done..
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:10 am

If it is a jazz gig, and you are playing with good players, then use the gig to make help you cope. If you're feeling dark or sad, play deep shit. It's jazz, that's what people really want to hear whether they know it or not.

I mean if your girlfriend broke up with you it sucks, but focus on the moment and not the future. Just don't let the shit get you to the point of hiccuping a 16th note or something.

I played a gig 13 hours after my son was born back in February and although I was severely fatigued from being up for 2 days straight and my head was blown, once I got to the gig, got on with the hang... blazed up with the band leader, all was good.

Music is such a head trip and you know that the best cats not only have the chops/feel/ideas down, but they also have the mental/performance shit down colder than the anything.
Matus

Postby Matus » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:55 pm

To me it's all about living the moment and just being thankful for being able to play music. I've lost several friends from the music business and the one that had the most impact on me was a fellow drummer. And a great young one, for that matter. Dec 2006.
I've always been able to get into that zone and shake the bad feelings off but sometimes there would be something eating me alive that was keeping me from enjoying my playing. Ever since my buddy was killed in a motorbike accident, I just can't disgrace the gift of being able to play music with anger or soreness because I owe it to those who gave me so much in the proccess and were gone too soon.
Not really helpful for you, I guess, but that's where I get my ability to shake everything else off and just play. You just need to find your own unconditional motivation.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:33 pm

Matus wrote:To me it's all about living the moment and just being thankful for being able to play music.

Boom.

Being able to play music is a blessing of wonders. Being able to get paid to play music, well now that really is something.

There's something to be said for being able to compartmentalize. Part of it, a large part, is understanding the circumstances that you are in.
whitehousec

Postby whitehousec » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:48 am

Guys,

Thank you. Your advice has been amazingly sound. I know all of this...but sometimes I need it basically rammed down my throat to make me take the medicine.

I'll keep you posted of my success/failure.

I have a lot of different things on my mind when I play...from the fact that I can't sometimes pull of what I want to do...to I guess everything else that one could have running through their brain.

I lost my father recently who was a drummer and my first teacher...and I'm not looking for a woe is me thing at all, but for a while it was a constant reminder every time I sat at the kit. And I know that he'd have never wanted me to be in that kind of mindset, it's just at time difficult to remove that whilst in the heat of battle.

But yes, thank you kindly for your help...and also, it's nice tobe back on the forum. Missed this board!!

Chris.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”