Toto (Oldenburg) 1990

Morgenthaler

Re: Toto (Oldenburg) 1990

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:48 am

bigbone wrote:
Morgenthaler wrote:It was also Jeff's choice to do coke. Just sayin'. :o

Cheap shot, have some respect for a drummer that you can't carry his drum stick.

Well it was his choice to do coke, any which way you put it. And a damn poor choice.

Rodge knows I wasn't having a go at him.
As I ALSO stated, Jeff was just always great.
I have nothing but respect for his drumming. His drumming.

But I genuinely dislike JMB - and I think he was a poor excuse for a singer in a band of Toto's proportions.
Anywho, most people here hopefully know what I'm about by now.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:44 am

looks like this concert was just after the recording of kingdom of desire. love that album. seventh one is great also. love the fills he plays on those albums. he plays the same fills live also. to the tee. lead singer ain't that bad. why would they hire him if his voice sounded like ass. love JW's voice. his voice fit right in with toto's music.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Damn it !!

Just when I was going to click on "SUBMIT" for my post in "My right hand" (the second part of " I may never drum again" also deleted topic), it says " this topic doesn´t exist."

My post was this: "This is my contribution to another 6 pages long topic."
It disappeared on the 3rd page.

Back to TOTO:

I don´t like that singer. I bought a DVD from that tour, and he disappointed me.
Maybe he fits in Toto vocal style, but it does it only in the way I don´t like about Toto´s lead singer: always trying to sing in the highest possible note, Bobby Kimball included.
I don´t know Joseph Williams tunes well, so I can´t speak about him.

That´s the reason I love Steve Lukather´s vocal parts in Toto songs, even more than the lead vocal.

Of course, this is only my opinion/taste.
Last edited by Juan Expósito on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Kurtis wrote: love JW's voice. his voice fit right in with toto's music.

I agree. Joseph Williams really matched the band well. The Seventh One was a very strong album,
and the first album I methodically went through from a drummer's perspective, learning all grooves,
fills and dynamics. Jeff is particularly strong on The Seventh One, for my taste. I LOVE his playing on that album.
Jean-Paul

Postby Jean-Paul » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Kurtis wrote:looks like this concert was just after the recording of kingdom of desire. love that album. seventh one is great also. love the fills he plays on those albums. he plays the same fills live also. to the tee. lead singer ain't that bad. why would they hire him if his voice sounded like ass. love JW's voice. his voice fit right in with toto's music.

Hi, I don't know if they were tracking songs at that moment for Kingdom of Desire but I don't think so. If they were, it would be a difficult situation. Playing with someone live and recording without him. Kinda split personality. KoD is a great album but SL is not a singer. I like his voice though, same "egde" as Richard Marx but a bit like Mike Landau. A great guitar player with a decent voice without being a singer. Don't get me wrong, there are worse examples out there in the music industry who are making more money. Anyway, the point is that Jeff Porcaro maintained a high standard whatever level he was playing on. Live, studio or with friends in his hobby band Toto. These YouTube vids show him in the same setting as the available DVD but IMO more agressive. Maybe that's why Toto used different takes on their DVD. Maybe people expected something different than I was looking for. I can only judge as a fan of Jeff Porcaro. I still think this man was God-gifted with his timing and drumming in general and I can only celebrate his entire legacy of recordings and live vids. I don't think any of other comments are really appropriate considering what's this all about. Just great perfect drumming of a hero who shall always remembered not only by me. Cheers!
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:01 pm

I like Isolation a lot too. Fergie sang great on it. So sad that he's got terminal cancer.

Jean-Paul

Postby Jean-Paul » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:20 pm

You are right DSOP, that's a great album too.

Shit, I didn't no about Fergie. That's bad. Same as Mike having ALS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyotrophic_lateral_sclerosis . Two friends of mine have this disease too. One is still OK, the other one cancelled his mobile phone because he can't answer it anyway.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:59 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”