Dream Theater

Isaac Lee

Re: Dream Theater

Postby Isaac Lee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:45 pm

Based purely upon speculation, I've narrowed it down to either Aquiles or Mangini. I think Aquiles would best serve the role in Dream Theater personally.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:04 am

Of course chemistry can be auditioned......you know within several minutes typically if you generally like someone plus these guys are all well known and have history......Mangini is the right fit I say from my armchair...he's an animal, fun, showman....Virg too technical no fun, marco sounds like marco, Rodney..heh....aguiles...too sterile... lang unmusical too polished. JMHO
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:08 am

Based on cursory research, I find the entire spectacle a coiled pant-load.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:47 am

Of course chemistry can be auditioned......you know within several minutes typically if you generally like someone plus these guys are all well known and have history......Mangini is the right fit I say from my armchair...he's an animal, fun, showman....Virg too technical no fun, marco sounds like marco, Rodney..heh....aguiles...too sterile... lang unmusical too polished. JMHO

Nice break down. I watched a bunch of videos and I have to agree with you even though earlier I thought aquilies would be best.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:17 pm

Old Pit Guy wrote:Based on cursory research, I find the entire spectacle a coiled pant-load.

To be fair, the blogger I quoted *did* write that DT is trying to find a drummer to fill Mike Portnoy's stool.

Just had the mention that again.

I suspect it's been Mangini's gig the whole time. He's friend's with Portnoy, he teaches at Berklee where they're all went, and he lives in Boston. I surprised they put on this whole charade. I hope Virg and the others got paid a lot of money to put together a documentary I predict will have no small similarity to Spinal Tap.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:24 pm

I know that Mangini probably has the gig....But IMO I'd love to see Virgil in that band.
There is nothing left to say.
John Blackburn

Postby John Blackburn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:41 pm

I found the whole thing a little bit embarassing, and like many have said, i hope the drummers involved were either in it 'for a giggle' or were paid well. Surely the players must all know each other and how they play, just ask the one you want...
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:34 pm

This is Mangini's no??

Hasn't that been public knowledge for months??

MP
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Ya...

This is just, you know, an obviously well produced "movie" that was shot some time ago (it's already been through editing). Genius move on milking the situation.

Be interesting to see what comes in the next couple years with a new drummer, probably new marketing, new direction and undoubtedly the serious powerhouse of musicians in the group.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:35 am

“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.

Return to “Drumming Chat”