Assorted videos / YouTube thread

Paul Marangoni

Re: Assorted videos / YouTube thread

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:36 am

Brother to Brother (both the album and the song) are very special to me. Easily one of my favorite records/songs of all time. I took a lesson with Mark Craney back in the mid-80s and asked him about that tune, and the fills he played. I showed him what I thought they were, and then he demonstrated them to me. What a great guy and experience.
Then, I think it was around 1990 while I was in Los Angeles preparing for a show with Alex Masi and Phil Naro, I got the chance to audition for Gino Vannelli. I went up to his house in Agoura Hills with Phil and set up in his studio and played through about three or four songs, one of which was Brother to Brother. Gino's brother Joe played keyboards and ran the sequencer while I played along. Gino stood right in front of me, with his foot on my bass drum, singing along. Pretty intense to say the least. Anyway, I didn't get the gig (Enzo did) but it was still a fun experience. A few years later my friend Marco Luciani got the keyboard gig with Gino.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:02 pm

Rodge wrote:Not anymore Paul, I'm nearly 51 !!! :-)
But yes I used to play indeed from 1981 thru 2008...
I've been lucky while playing ruby, not big injury, I kept play the drums.

Well, last year I started playing hockey again after not being on skates for 20 years, and I turned 60 in January! :lol:
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:25 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Rodge wrote:Not anymore Paul, I'm nearly 51 !!! :-)
But yes I used to play indeed from 1981 thru 2008...
I've been lucky while playing ruby, not big injury, I kept play the drums.

Well, last year I started playing hockey again after not being on skates for 20 years, and I turned 60 in January! :lol:

I was thinking about that Paul, hockey is as dangerous than rugby brother !!! :o
Good for you if you're back on the ice, specially at 60, it's a a beautiful sport, very physical, good. :)
Last edited by Rodge on Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Navega

Postby Navega » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:26 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:Brother to Brother (both the album and the song) are very special to me. Easily one of my favorite records/songs of all time. I took a lesson with Mark Craney back in the mid-80s and asked him about that tune, and the fills he played. I showed him what I thought they were, and then he demonstrated them to me. What a great guy and experience.
Then, I think it was around 1990 while I was in Los Angeles preparing for a show with Alex Masi and Phil Naro, I got the chance to audition for Gino Vannelli. I went up to his house in Agoura Hills with Phil and set up in his studio and played through about three or four songs, one of which was Brother to Brother. Gino's brother Joe played keyboards and ran the sequencer while I played along. Gino stood right in front of me, with his foot on my bass drum, singing along. Pretty intense to say the least. Anyway, I didn't get the gig (Enzo did) but it was still a fun experience. A few years later my friend Marco Luciani got the keyboard gig with Gino.

Great story, Paul! I'm a big fan of "Brother to Brother" and Mark Craney too! As far as I know he didn't read music, what is impressive. Years ago I transcribed those fills. Not sure if I transcribed correctly, but I loved to practice and to apply them. I guess some of those fills were inspired by Steve Gadd.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:19 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:Brother to Brother (both the album and the song) are very special to me. Easily one of my favorite records/songs of all time. I took a lesson with Mark Craney back in the mid-80s and asked him about that tune, and the fills he played. I showed him what I thought they were, and then he demonstrated them to me. What a great guy and experience.

Very nice Paul, must have been a significant personal milestone. :!: Thanks for sharing.

I saw Marco play with this band iteration below, which included many Montreal musicians. Great band!!

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:53 am

Hey, I did an audition for Gino in Paris some years ago, I was honestly not really looking to have the gig but a friend of mine wanted me to do it, me I was just looking to meet him and to have him sign my "Nightwalker" CD, when he saw the CD he said, Vinnie !!! :)
That's all I was looking for. :)

I remember when he came in the studio, I thought myself that he was looking more Gino Vanelli than Gino Vanelli himself, I was laughing inside me... :D
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:07 pm

A documentary on the Jazz Fusion wave in Quebec during the 80s, 90s years is in the works, very excited bout that.

These videos are linked to it...

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:48 pm

Some way out chops drumming...1969 and it sounds like it!

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:01 pm

You guys hip to this guy? Nice touch...
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:51 pm

All Star big band

Return to “Drumming Chat”