Assorted videos / YouTube thread

Rudy_Ment

Re: Assorted videos / YouTube thread

Postby Rudy_Ment » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Pocketplayer wrote:This guy is pretty amazing...real inside to cruise ship gig
talk having your reading down!

This guy is way better than I ever was but I had my own cruise gig from 93 to 99 with P&O, own cabin, didn't have to share, tax free money since I was out of the UK for more than 6 months over each year and lots of women 8-) Wi-fi and internet wasn't really a big thing then so didn't have to worry about paying for that. It was the best time of my life. Also only about 3 hours work a day. Med and atlantic cruises mostly, but also caribbean and I did 4 world cruises. I only got my foot in the door because a keyboard player friend already working the ships got me in. Went from cabaret trio to 7 piece showband. Tons of show books to learn, all thrown at me at once which was scary, and cabarets you had to sight read, some of which were really difficult. Almost every day was a roast, and clicks with changing tempos. Eventually though I got bored with it and got off at the right time. Some musicians stay on their whole life, get kind of institutionalised. Longer you stay on, the harder it is to find work if you decide to leave because noone knows you or you get forgotten.

Oh yeah, we did an outdoor evening show once a cruise. One of these times there was so much wind, most of my music flew into the swimming pool during the show, lol. After that, we had Perspex shields over the music and staff would stand there and help by pulling the music out from behind the Perspex when we gave them the nod.
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Rudy_Ment wrote:Longer you stay on, the harder it is to find work if you decide to leave because noone knows you or you get forgotten.

That may have been the case back then, but today, cruise ships are one of the only places left for musicians to actually get paid to work. Cirque de Soleil is the other one.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:03 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Rudy_Ment wrote:Longer you stay on, the harder it is to find work if you decide to leave because noone knows you or you get forgotten.

That may have been the case back then, but today, cruise ships are one of the only places left for musicians to actually get paid to work. Cirque de Soleil is the other one.

Well it's a great life but you're living in a cosy bubble on there. I did it in my 30's which was a good time, but I wouldn't really fancy doing it at this time of my life.

It's great to do for the occasional 2 or 3 week cruise though as a dep or as a guest band. Also, I had my own cabin, but today I think everyone has to share. The very rare time I shared I hated it, so that in itself is a dealbreaker for me.
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:39 pm

This is pretty tight groovin

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:10 pm

This is kinda cool.

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:35 am

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:32 pm

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:10 am

I love how he's singing ^ that song now, vs. the approach that Belew took on the original recording, when he was basically "talking", rather than singing. Bravo!
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:52 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:I love how he's singing ^ that song now, vs. the approach that Belew took on the original recording, when he was basically "talking", rather than singing. Bravo!

Interesting... I felt the exact opposite, I much prefer Belew's "narrating" approach.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:53 am

Return to “Drumming Chat”