Assorted videos / YouTube thread

Rudy_Ment

Re: Assorted videos / YouTube thread

Postby Rudy_Ment » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:44 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:The Big Fat Snare is pretty much like laying a while cut out head on it. Instant low and dry with having to twist a single rod. They make one with a hole in it and both versions can also be had with jingles. Cost about $20 bucks, but they look slick and are virtually indestructible.

I can justify that. Snare weight, not so much.

Yeah, it looks cool but it's just good marketing, encouraging drummers to spend money they don't need to. It would be cheaper and more resourceful to just make use of an old head. That's what I used to do to emulate what Gadd did, just used an old remo head, but I cut out most of the meat of it and just left a ring about an inch and a half wide all round.
No drums no life, know drums know life...
langmick

Postby langmick » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:21 pm

RIP Harry Anderson...such a cool theme...

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Love Night Court. Watched it with my mom and sometimes dad when he was home from work. I think Ralph H played drums. Steve Gadd is responsible for this groove. I remember going over this song when i attended Musicians Institute with one of the teachers. Bobby, forgot his last name was geeking out on the orchestration of the groove. right hand going from the hi hat to the ride cymbal on the quarter note. He had some students come up and try it. fail
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:13 pm

Went to a Bill Bruford talk last night at the University of Michigan. Low key affair about creativity. Interesting talk, included some analysis of a Pink Floyd tribute band drummer. Ha.

Met Bill afterwards, a really nice guy. I had a hundred things to ask, but didn't get a chance.

He talked also about this guy, I dig his approach. A little Gary Husband in there, Novak.

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:21 pm

I just finished reading Bill's new book about creativity and drumming and found it to be a snoozefest. I don't recommend it. A couple interesting points, but overall just a reason to break out a dictionary or thesaurus every few pages. Believe me, I am one of his biggest fans from way back. I really wanted to love the book.
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:44 pm

I must admit the talk was very much typically academic and filled with jargon and theories that sounded depressingly academic. The QA was a lot more interesting. There were a few interesting insights during the main preso.

I did get his autograph. :)

beat hit

Postby beat hit » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:04 am

Nice musical flair by my homie here... Saw them Live, 1st exposure to the great Otmaro Ruiz! Been a fan ever since...

Otmaro Ruiz (Piano)
Phil Dwyer (Sax)
Monte Croft (Vibe)
Phil Baker (Bass)
Paul Brochu (Drums)

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:25 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:19 pm

langmick