Trilok Gurtu 'Believe'

Morgenthaler

Trilok Gurtu 'Believe'

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon May 02, 2011 11:03 am

One of my favorite tracks of Trilok's - the title track from my favorite of his solo albums:

http://grooveshark.com/s/Believe/33G6oR?src=5

Check the ultra dry, ultra funky fill at 2:01

Enjoy.
Avi_drums

Re: Trilok Gurtu 'Believe'

Postby Avi_drums » Tue May 03, 2011 11:09 am

Drumistically, I also like The Western Front (written I believe by David Gilmour from Lost Tribe) and Sidewalk. Saw him with the Mclaughlin Trio with Dominique Piazza (touring Que Alegria etc)...it was memorable to say the least.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Tue May 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Avi_drums wrote:Drumistically, I also like The Western Front (written I believe by David Gilmour from Lost Tribe) and Sidewalk. Saw him with the Mclaughlin Trio with Dominique Piazza (touring Que Alegria etc)...it was memorable to say the least.

Oh yes, that is probably my favorite McLaughlin-era of them all! The trios that had Trilok in 'em with Eckhardt and DiPiazza
taking turns on bass.

I also saw Trilok a few times live at that point - with (the lesser known) David Gilmour as you mentioned.
Great, great stuff. I used to play The Western Front with a local music school band 15-16 years ago.
One of the few times playing in 11/8 made sense. :D
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Tue May 17, 2016 12:51 pm

This thread is the only one I could find with Trilok as subject...

John McLaughlin Trio - Live at the Royal Festival

I had this "chef-d'œuvre" on cassette.. Lost it... Just got the CD version last week.. This interpretation of "Jozy" is a definite rare gem. It unexpectedly and uniquely touched my soul as I re-listened to it, brought tears to my eye, I am not kidding. Trilok is a genius. This track is why I love music so much... I listened to other "Jozy" John McLaughlin Trio versions on YT and this one is it for me...

Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Tue May 17, 2016 1:58 pm

Lucky enough to have seen them on this tour...the Live trio album is one of the all time greats.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue May 17, 2016 4:32 pm

Avi_drums wrote:Lucky enough to have seen them on this tour...the Live trio album is one of the all time greats.

So I snuck backstage at Wolftrap to meet Chick Acoustick Band, as it was a double header. Talked to Dave for a but, he was way cool. Then he said, "You know, you really need to check out Trilok." So I went up and walked thru the stage door, and was right behind Trilok. I was getting wiggly looking for the best angle, and promptly got kicked out to my seats. And it was killer. I saw them later that year at The Barns, a small theatre. Front row, in front of Trilok. Wow. Walked backstage and talked to Trilok and John. What a good year!!!!!
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed May 18, 2016 11:07 am

A higher level of musicianship.....

Return to “Drumming Chat”