Need a new Ride Cymbal; Any suggestions?

Isaac Lee

Need a new Ride Cymbal; Any suggestions?

Postby Isaac Lee » Mon May 23, 2011 6:36 pm

Hey guys. I'm in the market for a new ride and would like to get something that is versatile but not too washy. I just sold my HHX Groove ride because it just washed out too quickly. I'm going to be playing rock, fusion, funk, singer/songwriter, ect.

Eventually I'd like to get several rides but for now I need something versatile. Probably going to stick with Zildjian too btw. But I'm open to other suggestions. And if anyone can recommend a combo of 2-3 rides to have a nice variety to choose from by all means let me know what you think.

Thanks guys.
Gaddabout

Re: Need a new Ride Cymbal; Any suggestions?

Postby Gaddabout » Mon May 23, 2011 7:59 pm

I don't think you can go wrong with a K, but before you do anything, go check out the Hybrids. I've fallen in love with the whole line ... except the hi-hats, which I just prefer dark, heavy, and crispy. The 20" Hybrid ride is the king of that entire line. To my hears it rides like K Custom -- same ping articulation -- but it has more broad-spectrum spread like an A Custom (whereas the other K Custom rides sit way in the darker, low-end wash of cymbals). I really can't imagine a more versatile ride cymbal.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Mon May 23, 2011 8:05 pm

i second that! my 21" hybrid is one of my favorite rides now. though i really dig on my A medium ride as well.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Mon May 23, 2011 8:26 pm

I actually played Steve's 20in Hybrid and I really liked it. I didn't know they made a 21in version though. Definately going to consider this one.

Tomorrow I'm going to check out the 22in A Custom (not the medium ride) and a 22in K Lite. We'll see how those stack up.

I found this nice 21in k Custom Special dry that is pretty killer but I'm afraid it won't be versatile enough.

Steve, whats the size/model of that K ride you have been using?
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon May 23, 2011 8:33 pm

You work at Guitar Center, don't you? If you play with fairly heavy sticks, pick up a 22" Paiste Dark Energy Mark 2.
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Mon May 23, 2011 9:49 pm

I have a lot of cymbals (mostly rides) and I can never go past my K Custom 20" Dark Ride.

Hybrids are nice but the Paiste Signature 20" Dry Ride is one cracker of a cymbal.

Good Luck.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Mon May 23, 2011 11:01 pm

Isaac Lee wrote:I found this nice 21in k Custom Special dry that is pretty killer but I'm afraid it won't be versatile enough.

the special dry is one rad cymbal, but i would lean towards it not having the muscle if you are playing heavier stuff. the paiste twenty customs masters phds or whatever are some amazing rides as well
Cheggs

Postby Cheggs » Tue May 24, 2011 12:14 am

Yeah, the K Custom Special Dry definitely doesn't cut through very much. I've got one. Amazing cymbal. But definitely a very 'jazzy' ride.
I would recommend a K Dark Medium Ride. I've got a 22" (pretty sure there's a 20" version too) and it works perfectly in a lot of different situations. Gorgeous sounding cymbal. People always want to steal mine. Definitely check it out.
Good luck man!
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Tue May 24, 2011 12:23 am

DSOP wrote:You work at Guitar Center, don't you? If you play with fairly heavy sticks, pick up a 22" Paiste Dark Energy Mark 2.

Yes I do work at GC. I'm familiar with our cymbal stock and the common go-to-cymbals. But, I value the opinion of others and do appreciate the feedback none the less.

We don't stock any Dark Energy Paistes but I'll look into them. I get 75% off retail on Paiste. :) But I'm not a big Paiste fan. At least not the stamped stuff. I hate the way the stick feels on those plates.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Tue May 24, 2011 3:40 am

22" K Dark Medium Ride...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”