dave dicenso's update! and old video

bananajou

dave dicenso's update! and old video

Postby bananajou » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:04 am

he has updated his web page and talks about videos, a new book and a DVD! looks awesome!
http://www.davedicenso.com/

and here is a video I found from montreal drum fest 99
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1633294123045
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: dave dicenso's update! and old video

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:37 am

NICE thanks for the update! Looks like Dave's going to be doing some video content, YAY!
I fucking Love that guy's drumming. Ugh.
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 pm

:)

Waiting....
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:35 pm

bananajou wrote:he has updated his web page and talks about videos, a new book and a DVD! looks awesome!
http://www.davedicenso.com/

and here is a video I found from montreal drum fest 99
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1633294123045

Interesting that Dave talks about time being best mastered with the mind, and, in the Robert Frip thread he catagorizes different types of musicians by where their sense of time comes from: the body, heart or mind.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:45 pm

Henry II wrote:Interesting that Dave talks about time being best mastered with the mind, and, in the Robert Frip thread he catagorizes different types of musicians by where their sense of time comes from: the body, heart or mind.

I was thinking the exact same thing.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:21 pm

He has an interesting selection of books as supplemental reading texts..

I own a copy of Levon's book and it is inspirational..

Who is Dave playing with when he is not teaching??
There is nothing left to say.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:59 pm

DSOP wrote:
Henry II wrote:Interesting that Dave talks about time being best mastered with the mind, and, in the Robert Frip thread he catagorizes different types of musicians by where their sense of time comes from: the body, heart or mind.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I'd really like to read DiCenso's and Frip's explanation of what keeping time in the mind is as a practical matter. I'm not exactly sure what it means. I don't think I could keep good time without some physical reference, even if it's just nodding my head or my breathing rate. If I try to think about keeping time only in my mind, I still find myself thinking of some physical motion as a reference, even if I'm just singing the beat in my mind.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:53 pm

I like that clip :
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:54 pm

I'd really like to read DiCenso's and Frip's explanation of what keeping time in the mind is as a practical matter. I'm not exactly sure what it means. I don't think I could keep good time without some physical reference, even if it's just nodding my head or my breathing rate. If I try to think about keeping time only in my mind, I still find myself thinking of some physical motion as a reference, even if I'm just singing the beat in my mind.

IMO, it's internalizing the time. In the same way you can internally "feel" 4, 8 and 16 bars or say how you feel 16ths, or 8th notes, etc

You don't have to think about it in any conscious manor. It's ingrained into the mind in the same way technique becomes ingrained in our muscle memory.
At a particular point a drummer no long consciously thinks of what his hands are doing consciously. The player crosses the into the realm of just playing, and letting his hands unconsciously translate the ideas coming from the mind. This I think is basically the same concept of internalizing 'time'.

Someone posted an article on the old forums that a guy talked about learning aurally VS physically and the internalization that comes from each, being different.
I believe if you "grew up" as a drummer marking time in a particular way, such as quarters on the hats with the foot, then the muscle memory and just overall learning wise, it becomes a dependent factor. Almost in a sense the body has learned to mark time physically, instead of internally. Perhaps making it that much harder to "re-wire" things so that you can develop and trust that internal time.

That video was SICK too, I really dig on Dave's approach with his book as well. Always great to get a fresh perspective on things.
bananajou

Postby bananajou » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:42 am

Return to “Drumming Chat”