Steve Smith

Andrew<3'sVinnie

Re: Steve Smith

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:04 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:Ralph Humphrey got into this stuff with us at MI a bit back in the day so I had heard it before. It's super interesting stuff, and fun to do as well.

I figured as much given your level of kick-buttness and stature. That you still think from a musical perspective it may be a bit gratuitous in this situation is fair enough. Just wanted to make sure some of the other cats not in the know could put this in context : :)
MrGroover

Postby MrGroover » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:46 pm

Good stuff...really nice ideas but seriously, I would rather listen to the real thing (Indian music tabla playing) than listen to a fusion jazz band trying to emulate the original concept. For some reason It didn't really click for me. It seemed like the only guy digging was Steve and the rest was just "trying" to play along and follow Steve's "command". Kind of like they memorized the whole thing but didn't really know what they are doing (except Steve) . I don't know...everything sounded too robotic to me!!! That's just my personal opinion though!
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:16 am

Steve Holmes wrote:the older I get the less listenable fusion becomes in general

...same here...:)
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:45 am

+1

The only fusion that I can handle with a straight face is the stuff that is at least 30 years old.

Good lord, could you imagine if you brought a date to a show and the band started doing that tabla-speak stuff, like in the clip?

You are not getting laid.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:52 am

Ha ha when the go to the vocal part I think of Grand Master flash...
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:25 am

I can't really get into this. I can listen to masters like Trilok Gurtu or Zakir Hussein or even Pete Lockett communicate this stuff but in a different musical context. Fusion music in general is a tough sell to non-musician types. I'm not sure whether the audience enjoyed this but, like MrGroover said, Steve seemed to be the only one in the band 'into' it. What I really respect is the fact that Steve's doing his own thing without 'commercial interruption'. I hope continued success.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:16 am

I just wanna know where I can buy one of those purple scarf/tie hybrid things.

Ta ka di dah
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:19 pm

littlegrooves wrote:+1

The only fusion that I can handle with a straight face is the stuff that is at least 30 years old.

Good lord, could you imagine if you brought a date to a show and the band started doing that tabla-speak stuff, like in the clip?

I sort of disagree... I took my girlfriend to the Abstract Logix Festival last November and she was totally into it...could have been the cloud of kind bud in the air though. lol
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:06 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:
littlegrooves wrote:+1

I sort of disagree... I took my girlfriend to the Abstract Logix Festival last November and she was totally into it...could have been the cloud of kind bud in the air though. lol

Note that she is your girlfriend and has thus already passed through "the filter"; therefore, she is already acclimated-- I too have programmed girlfriends to be able to "like" some of the musician music that I dig. However, try taking some random hot chick to a Vital Information gig and have SS bust that out-- probably would have the same effect as showing her your magic card collection.

P.S. You're right, the contact high could help-- maybe they should pipe that stuff into the room during fusion gigs to make them more manageable.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:43 pm

I think the singing would actually help non-fusion fans get into the show. It's a pretty unusual sound for western ears.

Speaking of girlfriends hating fusion, I once took my ex-girlfriend (who went on to become my ex-wife) to see a "super group" which featured Steve Smith on drums, Airto on percussion, Allan Holdsworth on guitar, Stanley Clarke on bass and I think it was T. Lavitz on keys. I had brought a portable cassette recorder to record the show, and when I got around to listening to the tape, you could hear the girlfriend whining every ten minutes: "Can we go now? This is horrible." Ruined my experience and ruined my recording. Nice.

Return to “Drumming Chat”