Youtube guy killing it over Jeff Richman tune

Manu

Re: Youtube guy killing it over Jeff Richman tune

Postby Manu » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Gaddabout wrote:Some of you have impossibly high standards for YouTube video. The guy's obviously a very good player and I had fun watching his stuff.

Same here, I really liked the guy's playing, next time I´ll be more conservative with post titles :D
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:49 pm

the kid is good, def looks like a school practice room too.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:18 am

So i guess this means we can expect videos of certified greatness to be posted by DeeP FRieD and amoergosum later today?
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:03 pm

circh bustom wrote:So i guess this means we can expect videos of certified greatness to be posted by DeeP FRieD and amoergosum later today?

One does not need to equal the subject in skill when forming an opinion on it.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:
circh bustom wrote:So i guess this means we can expect videos of certified greatness to be posted by DeeP FRieD and amoergosum later today?

One does not need to equal the subject in skill when forming an opinion on it.

True, but there´s a reason why we all listen to what pros have to say on X subject.
I don´t see the point bashing this guy: he just posted a vid of himself playing along to a track...

BTW, here´s what Jeff has to say about it:
(Facebook quote)

"...This is so cool. drjunichi0613 just posted this video of him nailing Three Four All on the kit. What an amazing job. What do you guys think?"
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Dude, if that's the standard I'll stop posting now. I've got nuthin on nobody. But I think I have some knowledge in my brain and four decades of intensive listening, so I've occasionally developed some critical thoughts about people who are technically much better than me.

It's OK to have a critical opinion. But I think when someone puts something up with right kind of humility and knowingly make themselves vulnerable, you don't grade those guys on the same standard as you do of someone who got paid four or five figures to do a pro show. That's just me, though. YMMV. And in the case of this video, it's not like the guy lacks skill.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:47 pm

Gaddabout wrote:Dude, if that's the standard I'll stop posting now. I've got nuthin on nobody. But I think I have some knowledge in my brain and four decades of intensive listening, so I've occasionally developed some critical thoughts about people who are technically much better than me.

It's OK to have a critical opinion. But I think when someone puts something up with right kind of humility and knowingly make themselves vulnerable, you don't grade those guys on the same standard as you do of someone who got paid four or five figures to do a pro show. That's just me, though. YMMV. And in the case of this video, it's not like the guy lacks skill.

Maybe it's just that we're so used to hearing people like Colaiuta, Weckl, Chambers, Keith Carlock that we start expecting too much and we forget that guys like those are few and far between.

We just gotta enjoy drummers for what they are.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:56 pm

Also, after scanning the thread - no one said he was bad. Someone said he wasn't killing it, and someone else had issues with play-along drum cover vids instead of making original music. No one said he was bad. That's because he's quite good.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Yeah he's good and he sounds good as well but there's something I don't like about his hands and i think it's this: His movements are too large and it looks ugly. He kinda reminds me of drum videos I've seen of gospel choppers but I may as well chalk it up as he plays trad and has excellent taste in music. I feel like large movements in playing give it a goofy feel which I don't care for.

From a technical perspective, large movements to me, mean that he's not manipulating rebound as well as he could... doesn't mean he's a bad drummer though.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Ardent15 wrote:

Maybe it's just that we're so used to hearing people like Colaiuta, Weckl, Chambers, Keith Carlock that we start expecting too much and we forget that guys like those are few and far between.

We just gotta enjoy drummers for what they are.
There are many drummers who are like those guys you mentioned. They just haven't become famous or they play less notes. :lol:
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Drumming Chat”