Youtube guy killing it over Jeff Richman tune

Darren Altman

Re: Youtube guy killing it over Jeff Richman tune

Postby Darren Altman » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:51 pm

DeeP_FRieD wrote:This youtube shit of people playing other people's music well is starting to get to me.
It misses the fundamental point of music... That someone came up with that shit on their own.......I mean great work, but I will be convinced when I see an original track with original ideas that make me as happy as Jeff RIchman's ideas from this guy...

And then you post a vid of your band playing a COVER!! Contradictions?!

Anyway, that aside... it's how we grow and develop as players, we emulate, we imitate, we copy. Then by the very nature of us being human beings, we naturally evolve as musicians as our own personalities shine through. We have to have reference points, heroes, influences, every artist has, but that doesn't mean it's at the expense of our own stamp or signature sound. When I started playing the drums, I used to play along religiously to My Muppet and The Kids From Fame albums! Copying the playing on those records helped make me the player I am today and I'm proud of that fact.

These people who post videos of themselves playing along to tracks are on a journey like the rest of us, good luck to them. I don't know the original drummer on the track, but I'm sure this guy didn't copy him note for note. Even if he did, so what! When he gets on the bandstand, I bet he forgets his influences and just plays the music.
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Darren Altman wrote:
DeeP_FRieD wrote:This youtube shit of people playing other people's music well is starting to get to me.
It misses the fundamental point of music... That someone came up with that shit on their own.......I mean great work, but I will be convinced when I see an original track with original ideas that make me as happy as Jeff RIchman's ideas from this guy...

Anyway, that aside... it's how we grow and develop as players, we emulate, we imitate, we copy. Then by the very nature of us being human beings, we naturally evolve as musicians as our own personalities shine through. We have to have reference points, heroes, influences, every artist has, but that doesn't mean it's at the expense of our own stamp or signature sound. When I started playing the drums, I used to play along religiously to My Muppet and The Kids From Fame albums! Copying the playing on those records helped make me the player I am today and I'm proud of that fact.

These people who post videos of themselves playing along to tracks are on a journey like the rest of us, good luck to them. I don't know the original drummer on the track, but I'm sure this guy didn't copy him note for note. Even if he did, so what! When he gets on the bandstand, I bet he forgets his influences and just plays the music.

1++;
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:41 pm

Darren Altman wrote:

Contradictions... it's Jazz (people play a lot of other peoples tunes in this style), also, it's majorly reharmed and modified arrangement wise, and took my buddy the keyboard player's imagination and time to rearrange so well. Another thing, I came up with all the parts for this reading it off a head chart.
Want originals?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QJkHwOEtzg&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0MIqwJ98Y4&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHP1spgPakc

I'm sorry my post pissed off so many people, but I don't think it interpreted correctly by most.

The point I was trying to get at is not that people shouldn't spend their time shedding other people's shit, but that working that up to record it to represent your playing isn't valid really.

I was referring to being able to get with some people and actually make some music, then if sick shit comes out of you it's golden.

Learning a whole track helps you peer into the mind and vocabulary of someone else. If you think about what you just learned critically, you can figure out ways to incorporate those ideas into your vocabulary.

Recording it and putting it up on youtube just doesn't seem to effective for advancing your playing... although I know people score gigs like this all the time, I don't think Jeff Richman is going to be kicked out of his group anytime.

Sorry a point of frustration for me on a late, moderately inebriated night got to you, but all I really wanted to see was this guy lay down some of his own shit, whether it be on a cover or not is irrelevant, but I want it to be his own.

Years ago, when I was in College and that Unreel drum book came out, I spent months working on some of the solos from there. We had do 2 performances a semester in forum for the classical portion of my degree and so rather than poop on a marimba, I would do a transcribed excerpt on something for drumset... as long as it could be read off a page, the professor was cool with it. One semester, I worked hard on that bali hai solo and performed it on one forum.

I can tell you that at that time and still at this time that there is NO WAY I could pull something like that off, off the top of my head. Yeah I could make it through that solo with the cd leading me by the hand, but formulating those ideas, on the bandstand, one or two takes, 100% impossible.

This dichotomy is what my gripe was about.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Anyone can wave their hands around and play a bunch of stuff and call it original. But to copy a fairly dense and complicated tune, especially one by a considered master on these forums(at this point I'm speaking of the Headless Torsos tune he put up) takes a decent amount of time and discipline. He may have just been recording for his own benefit and thought it was cool. Its actually inspirational that someone possibly half my age can whip out some Jojo and I cant. Makes me want to practice.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:59 pm

“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 am

That was great playing on all fronts. Thanks for sharing. I dig your stuff.

I don't really have a valuable opinion one way or the other on the matter at hand in this thread; but all of the playing submitted so far here is fantastic. It's inspiring and motivates me to hit the shed and dig deeper.
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:47 am

looking those up lead me to the Auto Man Empire (giggle) cover (gasp) of Actual Proof.

really enjoyed that, some tasty embellishments there.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Great stuff DeeP_FRieD!! Great instrumentation, lots of voices but nothing really fighting with each other sound wise. .
S.P

Postby S.P » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:27 pm

bensdrums wrote:

That was great playing on all fronts. Thanks for sharing. I dig your stuff.

I don't really have a valuable opinion one way or the other on the matter at hand in this thread; but all of the playing submitted so far here is fantastic. It's inspiring and motivates me to hit the shed and dig deeper.

Well said, I have thoroughly enjoyed listening/watching all the stuff that has been put on in this thread!
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Means a lot guys...

It was just a semantic type thing. I just believe focusing all your energy on creating your own voice and scene is what music is about. It's what I was told from all the great cats I've been involved with and that exact idea came from Mike Crotty who is and arranger/every horn player and not a drummer.

looking those up lead me to the Auto Man Empire (giggle) cover (gasp) of Actual Proof.

Lucas if you like the name Auto Man Empire, the original name I had for the band was the Stork Hunters... we were a pro choice music ensemble.... suffice to say, when booking gigs, real gigs, outside of the hipster bars became a reality, we switched the name.

If anyone wants to hear that actual proof cut (I'm a little embarrassed by it) here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udXWdCDzPUc

Anyways, I've been on this site for almost a decade now (I think) and I've learned so much from the cats on here philosophy/music/technique/and biz wise... Thank you Steve, this is my official time succubus on the net.

Return to “Drumming Chat”