Zoom Q3 HD + gospelchops student

Rudy_Ment

Zoom Q3 HD + gospelchops student

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi guys. This thread is about two things. The Zoom Q3 HD I bought, and 13 year old Stephen Asamoah Duah. I just bought this wonderful camcorder which is great for recording drums. It's HD 1080p @30fps, and 720 @60fps and 30fps.
I'm amazed how high quality the mics are. I'm able to replace my old school minidisc recorder and Sony ECM-MS907 which had a very nice sound too. But now I don't have to do post AV syncing, this is an all in one portable high definition video and also high quality audio recording device. Complete with usb connector for direct transfer to my pc and uploading. There's no distortion at loud volume. The only problem is that sites like youtube don't do 60fps, and 60fps looks so much better. Also, some of the top end crispness of the hihats and clarity of the snare is a bit compressed compared to my original recordings. It's a pity you can't see the originals. Even so, I'm still very impressed with the sound quality. I recorded a couple of clips today. This is Stephen Asamoah Duah, my student. He won the UK young drummer of the year in february, organised by mike dolbear. Most of his chops he learned himself via his church and studying his main drummer influences, so I mainly teach him to read, keep hm inspired, jam with him (piano and drums) and have taught him a few of my own chops (mosly gaddy things) for good measure :p But his chops are way beyond mine now. He did a couple of nights recently as support on gavin harrison's clinics.

Here's a 720p@30fps clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGjDtDytdbI

Here's the 720p @60fps but reduced to 30fps on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXmsDqqyOhY

Here's the same 60fps clip on viddler.com, maintaining the 60fps, but viddler quality is overall not very good. But you may want to see it at 60fps.
http://www.viddler.com/explore/Rudy_Ment/videos/1/

I didn't get a chance to shoot 1080p unfortunately, he had to run off. See what you think though of the videos, audio, and stephen's playing. See if you can spot where I stand on a chair to get an aerial view of him :P
No drums no life, know drums know life...
bstocky

Re: Zoom Q3 HD + gospelchops student

Postby bstocky » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 pm

Sounds great, him and the Zoom but where's the bottom half of his tie? :)
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Nice playing and quality video!
Is he playing long hours daily or just comes naturally for him?
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:35 pm

Uncanny timing. I was just inquiring about this camera. Thanks!
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Manu

Postby Manu » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:04 am

Hey I have those hi hats :D
S.P

Postby S.P » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:34 am

It's always awesome to see such talent at such a young age. The cam is sweet as well! Thanks for sharing
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:47 am

kids got a nice feel, relaxed. been thinking bout getting one of those cams myself too...
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:45 am

bstocky wrote:but where's the bottom half of his tie? :)

Lol, you're not kidding, it's a bit laurel n hardy :D

Julián Fernández wrote:Nice playing and quality video!
Is he playing long hours daily or just comes naturally for him?

He's definitely a natural, plus he practises whenever he can between school hours, during lunch times, and at home every night I think. He also started drums at 2 years old!
He's studied loads of youtube vids of his favourites like aaron spears, teddy campbell, pridgen, etc, in fact, any youtube link I email him, he's usually seen it, lol.
He's doing a spot at the london drum show in october at olympia, and one in birmingham. He got offered to join NYJO after winning the young drummer comp, but he doesn't
read well enough yet, so had to turn it down, hence where I'm helping him. I've been with him over about the last 2 years, where his chops were ' ok' but have now really started to mature.
Here's a short video of him with gavin harrison, and also, the video of him at the finals of the young drummer competition.

All contestants were limited to a 2 minute solo. Also, they had to perform 2 pieces with guitar and bass. The first tune was sent as a track with click,
and on the day, he peformed it without rehearsal. Second tune, no rehearsal either and only got to listen to it the morning of the competition.
No pressure then!

No drums no life, know drums know life...

Return to “Drumming Chat”