Weckl interviewed by Chris Minh Doky

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: Weckl interviewed by Chris Minh Doky

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:05 am

S.P wrote:Thanks for sharing. I've never checked out the "Alive" and the original akoustic band records so I just bought them on amazon. Being in the UK with such cheap second hand CDs changing hands is great so I'm stocking up before I leave back to HK!

Oh MAN ..ALIVE changed things for me. There was a pro (VHS) video as well. That really had drumming on there that I had no earthly clue was possible. I dug the tunes too.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:38 am

Gaddabout wrote:
Rodge wrote:The last song at the end of part. 1, Chris's bass line/groove is really great, I think that Dave's groove is not as fat that it should be, I don't find him focused on the groove, adding little stuff everywhere, and that part should be fat from fat land !!! :o

I agree, but if I hire Weckl, I'm not expecting him to lay back. I still remember that video of Weckl with Chaka Khan and Yamaha night at Namm, and he was just way out there with displacement and a ton of embellishments, but you bring him on stage you have to know Weckl's going to be Weckl.

Is it me or his solos getting more and more interesting as he ages? I loved what he played in that first clip. It was just so ... lovely. Just Weckl making music on a drum set. Not sure I can think of anyone else who solos as well as he does.

Sure Matt, but still, there is a time for everything, and Dave should kill that part with a fat groove that he has, if he wants... :)
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
S.P

Postby S.P » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:12 am

Steve Holmes wrote:
S.P wrote:Thanks for sharing. I've never checked out the "Alive" and the original akoustic band records so I just bought them on amazon. Being in the UK with such cheap second hand CDs changing hands is great so I'm stocking up before I leave back to HK!

Oh MAN ..ALIVE changed things for me. There was a pro (VHS) video as well. That really had drumming on there that I had no earthly clue was possible. I dug the tunes too.

Sweet, I can't wait to check it out!
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:09 am

perhaps this has been intimated before but he's a living legend in my book. the world is a better place w/ Dave Weckl. Thank you sir for literally decades of drumming / musical inspiration. i hope you never retire.
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:34 pm

I agree Da Chooch, amen.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:05 pm

If I had to choose only one Weckl recording to listen to for the rest of my life, it would be Alive. The first track I heard off of that was Morning Sprite, and it was weird as I didn't even know how to describe what I was hearing, but I knew it was important for me to listen!

That CD was the one that "did it" for me and blew the doors off the hinges-- the drums all of a sudden had all these extra dimensions that I never knew existed.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:27 pm

That was great. Really excellent interview.

That singer Ida Corr, I can't quite tell if her earrings are zildjian or sabian.
No drums no life, know drums know life...
JonasR

Postby JonasR » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:24 am

Rudy_Ment wrote:That singer Ida Corr, I can't quite tell if her earrings are zildjian or sabian.

:D definitely Sabian - to avoid conflict with mr. Weckl
LinearDrumma

Postby LinearDrumma » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:12 am

Thanks for posting!
Hard Wired is the Cd that did it for me...
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:13 am

nice interview, didnt know he studied with Chester

Return to “Drumming Chat”