GH on 'A Scarcity Of Miracles - A King Crimson Project'

baht habit

GH on 'A Scarcity Of Miracles - A King Crimson Project'

Postby baht habit » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:04 pm

I haven't noticed this particular release being mentioned on any thread so far, and so I thought I'd bring it to the attention of anybody else impressed by the wonderfully disciplined drumming of Gavin H. He and Tony Levin are the rhythm section for Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins and what they've produced is the most focused and song oriented King Crimson-related release since David Sylvian & Robert Fripp (along with bassist Trey Gunn and drummer Jerry Marotta) put out The First Day way back in '93.

Here's the video for the title track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOxn2GTGa2U

For those interested, I recommend getting one's hands on the CD/DVD deluxe edition, as it includes some alternate mixes - of which a few easily outshine the officially released versions, in my opinion....especially considering the disc's final cut, The Light Of Day, on which Gavin does not even appear on the official release...yet his solid drumming on the alternate mix of that track serves to bring clearer definition and a stronger drive to the song.
Cold Monday

Re: GH on 'A Scarcity Of Miracles - A King Crimson Project'

Postby Cold Monday » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks for the head's up.
I 'll check the cd/dvd edition out.....it looks promising as i understand a couple of older Crimson alum (circa Lizard era) were recruited for this release.
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:24 am

Cold Monday wrote:it looks promising as i understand a couple of older Crimson alum (circa Lizard era) were recruited for this release.

Mel Collins (saxophones/flute) was a member of Crimson from 1970 to 1972 - performed on 'In The Wake Of Poseidon', 'Lizard', 'Islands' - and then also contributed to 'Red' in 74. His presence slightly alters the sound of the group on this new release. I have read numerous disparaging remarks from certain Crimson fans basically describing his current style as being akin to something of the smooth jazz sort of Kenny G, but that probably just shows the narrow scope concerning musical knowledge of those making that type of charge. If necessary, I would liken his approach to be somewhat similar to the relative freedom that Branford Marsalis was given while working in a more pop context with Sting or the space afforded to Theo Travis when he contributed to Nine Horses' Snow Borne Sorrow ...those players were allowed to stretch out and riff, filling in any noticeable gaps rather than be restricted to playing staid horn lines in the background - and that is what Collins is achieving here as well.
Bassist Tony Levin is the other 'older Crimson alum' who has returned to the fold. As is often the case with any recording session he does, Levin is reliable at creating a foundation while providing an experimental edge at the same time.
As for Gavin, I surely do hope he maintains the status as Fripp's first choice for drummer in the future, for it is the perfect choice in my opinion.
tobiasralph

Postby tobiasralph » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Speaking of King Crimson or something like it...I'm currently out on the "Two of a Perfect Trio" tour with Adrian Belew. It's a cool gig because Tony Levin's Stickmen (with drummer Pat Mastelotto and guitarist Markus Reuter) is opening for us (Adrian Belew Power Trio), but that's not all...After we play, then Adrian, Tony and Markus play some King Crimson tunes and then Julie Slick and I join in for an incredible finale of even more King Crimson tunes. You should all check it out if you can. We're touring the US and Canada through the end of October. If you do, please stop by and say hello to me.

Cheers,
Tobias Ralph

Return to “Drumming Chat”