In ear monitors

whitehousec

In ear monitors

Postby whitehousec » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:38 am

Hi guys,

Has anyone got decent experience of in ear systems - what is good and what isn't so good?

I'm using an in ear system for a show I'm doing but it's my first time. However, it's amazing - the clarity and comfort it brings to playing is outrageous, can't believe I've never done it before.

I'll be in the market to buy a decent pair of in ears and am looking for recomendations - has any one got any? I'm on a budget of around £200.

Best,

Chris
electrizer

Re: In ear monitors

Postby electrizer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:45 am

I use a pair of Shure SM-215 hooked up to a mixer. Works like a miracle! They cost around 90 GBP but check eBay first! Got mine there for 75!
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:53 am

inears rock so hard. if you are going to invest in a set, id recommend going the whole way and geting a small powered mixer and your drum mics, headphone mixer too depending on.

being able to control your kit sound and monitor is is amazing. completely got the idea from weckl after hearing about (long ago) how he likes to control his drum sound and of course... has one of the best i think
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Chris,

You often get what you pay for. I've been using these Westone triple drivers and they've been the best I've had. Not sure of the price (as I'm lucky that it goes on the band's tab) but I think they are around $1,000. (Hey, a thousand bucks is almost 200 pounds these days, right?)

Cheers,
Todd
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:24 pm

More expensive usually means better but you can get something nice within your budget. I've used Shure's cheapest model and love them. I've worn them onstage and during 7 hour bus trips. No complaints.
See if you can try some out, maybe even demo them during the show. You can absolutely get something great in your price range.
Matus

Postby Matus » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Check these out:
http://www.alienears.com/
Best price I've seen so far for triple drivers. I don't have any references about the quality but Todd is right, I'd rather go for single or double drivers of better known brands if you plan on saving money. In my case, I went for the Sennheiser IE8, which are cost-effective and perform quite nicely in live situations.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
funkydrummer

Postby funkydrummer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:15 am

Matus wrote:Check these out:
http://www.alienears.com/
Best price I've seen so far for triple drivers. I don't have any references about the quality but Todd is right, I'd rather go for single or double drivers of better known brands if you plan on saving money. In my case, I went for the Sennheiser IE8, which are cost-effective and perform quite nicely in live situations.

My guitarist uses the Alienears, and he can't say enough about them. I'm thinking of getting a pair for myself in the near future. And yes, like Todd said, you really do get what you pay for. I'm using Shure SE315's right now, which are very nice, but I think that my next step up will be a pair with triple drivers.
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:01 am

I’ve been researching in ears myself.

The only downside I’ve read about so far is the risk for ear infections is allot higher due to the closed/hot/sweaty nature of them.

Anybody have any troubles like that?
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:26 am

I use in-ears every single day of my life. Never had any problems!

I would totally recommend ACS above all other in the UK.
Andy Shiach is the founder and a leader in the field of In-Ear technology.

Their number is 01295 266 665, give them a call, even if you don't buy some, they will do everything they can to make sure you understand everything you need to know. FANTASTIC company...

MP
whitehousec

Postby whitehousec » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:15 pm

Sound advice guys - pun intended ;-) Thank you very much!

Mark - I'd really loved to try the ACS stuff, but at the minute I simply can't afford it.

I've found a pair of Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10's for around my price range and from what I've read they seem to be pretty decent, at least to get me going! I have a small mixing desk from a friend too so it's a start.

Best,

Chris

Return to “Drumming Chat”