Henry II

Jack! A Love Supeme!

Postby Henry II » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:02 am

Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Josiah

Re: Jack! A Love Supeme!

Postby Josiah » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:59 am

i made it to 2:07..

every time i hear him solo it occurs to me that if you just took the audio and put it under a different name it would get a very different response.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Jack's swing is sublime. One of my favorites!
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Josiah wrote:i made it to 2:07..

every time i hear him solo it occurs to me that if you just took the audio and put it under a different name it would get a very different response.

What response is that?
Jean-Paul

Postby Jean-Paul » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:25 am

I am a fan! Jack's got big ears! He is so musical that his groove goes way beyond time keeping and playing licks. But up to a certain agree I understand what Josiah is writing. I have the same with a lot of solo's put on the internet. I prefer to hear a drummer in a band.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:32 am

DeeP_FRieD wrote:

What response is that?

the response such playing would incur minus the famous name. crap. boring. most people probably wouldnt make it through the first 60 seconds of that without looking around and wondering WTF?!

the ideas are cool, though static and outdated, but the execution is even worse. melodic playing is not new, his ONE solo back in the day was something cool, but an idea that doesnt evolve over what? 40 years? That's just stagnated blahness.

his playing on various albums is extraordinary. not trying to take away from that at all. but as a soloist, it falls flat.
whitehousec

Postby whitehousec » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Josiah wrote: but an idea that doesnt evolve over what? 40 years? That's just stagnated blahness.

Like the blushda? ;)
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:42 pm

What about the dynamics, phrasing, cool sound? This is a hip solo that is musical. No wanking extra notes, just a nice muscial composition. And the execution is spot on, what are you thinking about!? The technique serves the music perfectly.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Not a fan of 37 hour drum solos. I love jack playing with others. Just don't let him have an entire set playin a solo. I mean you want to destroy an entire tomb of zombies at the end of his solo.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:19 pm

sorry Jack's execution of that solo is weak, and i can point out numerous points in that video where you can see it, all over. the hesitation, the lack of commitment to the notes, lack of stock control, etc, since when is playing a chopping closed roll considered "good"?

whitehousec wrote:
Josiah wrote: but an idea that doesnt evolve over what? 40 years? That's just stagnated blahness.

Like the blushda? ;)

Aww come on man really? i thought the level of intellect is far above that here. the 'blushda' lick has been evolved, by MANY players, far beyond what Tony did. Players have used the blushda, most notably Vinnie, in ways that we don't even regonize that he was doing it til after the transcription is pointed out.
Not to mention, Tony ain't around anymore.

And since you use it as a counter point, i'll go on further to illustrate exactly what I mean. Tony brought the blushda, players have taken it and evolved the lick. Show me a lick that Jack brought to the drum set that is currently being used on a regular basis by modern masters.... there are none.

im a young guy, didnt grow up with the early stuff. so be it. I can appreciate what those players did for the instrument and music AT THE TIME. Fantastic stuff.

but that solo, in modern context - is shit. ya i can sit down and approximate various melodic solos and phrases i know on the kit, but why? its drumset. if i wanted to play you a music solo, i'd do it on the marimba, where i have 4.5 octaves to move over. you will praise Jack for his amazing drum set solo but really compared to Lionel Hampton?! just come on, play the fucking drums. or play the bells. but dont try and say combining the two in some pseudo like fashion is special.

Return to “Drumming Chat”