Jack! A Love Supeme!

percusski

Re: Jack! A Love Supeme!

Postby percusski » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:09 am

What's there not to like, when he starts to groove a few mins in, if you keep singing the melody you can hear exactly where he is going with this. I would say performing a solo like this is far harder than somersaulting onto the drum stool, playing quads as fast as you can then standing up and playing the bass drum whilst hitting the side of your head encouraging the audience to join in (no offence to Randy Castillo who was awesome btw-just arguing in context), I think if you dig back Jack was playing stuff in the Linear funk style before Gadd and no doubt influenced him, try Joe Farrell's Moongerms
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:25 am

Josiah wrote:i made it to 2:07..

every time i hear him solo it occurs to me that if you just took the audio and put it under a different name it would get a very different response.

That clip sounds like Jack and Jack alone...
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:19 pm

percusski wrote:What's there not to like, when he starts to groove a few mins in, if you keep singing the melody you can hear exactly where he is going with this. I would say performing a solo like this is far harder than somersaulting onto the drum stool, playing quads as fast as you can then standing up and playing the bass drum whilst hitting the side of your head encouraging the audience to join in (no offence to Randy Castillo who was awesome btw-just arguing in context), I think if you dig back Jack was playing stuff in the Linear funk style before Gadd and no doubt influenced him, try Joe Farrell's Moongerms

Moongerms is so good! The soprano is piercing, but remember this album was produced before Kenny G ruined it.

Also check out Miroslav Vitouš - Infinite Search for so more great Jack.
whitehousec

Postby whitehousec » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:52 am

The blushda thing was tonuge in cheek - I know how evolved the blushda has gotten.

You mention Tony and then proceed to slag Jack off in the process. Both guys have evolved the drumset and indeed MUSIC more than most drummers will ever come close too.

Also, the thread is called A Love Supreme for a reason. He's playing the melody to A Love Supreme, so the solo of course won't get going for a bit - he'll get, essentially, the head out of the road first before he creates anything else.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:52 pm

whitehousec wrote:The blushda thing was tonuge in cheek - I know how evolved the blushda has gotten.

You mention Tony and then proceed to slag Jack off in the process. Both guys have evolved the drumset and indeed MUSIC more than most drummers will ever come close too.

Also, the thread is called A Love Supreme for a reason. He's playing the melody to A Love Supreme, so the solo of course won't get going for a bit - he'll get, essentially, the head out of the road first before he creates anything else.

You're wasting your breath. This guy belittles Gadd for not having modern gigs like Tool and Danny Carey. He wouldn't know a melody based drum solo from a baloney sandwitch.

:|
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:08 pm

renardvert wrote:I can understand people not liking Jack's solo. But he really has a cool style to me and he clearly has a sound of his own.

Here he is playing with Keith Jarrett doing some burning trades. Listen to that lick where he plays in unison with his ride and snare mixed with some hihat foot in between. Killer!

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/Jackdejohnettekeith2.html

THAT WAS KILLIN'!
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:22 am

Da Chooch wrote:
renardvert wrote:I can understand people not liking Jack's solo. But he really has a cool style to me and he clearly has a sound of his own.

Here he is playing with Keith Jarrett doing some burning trades. Listen to that lick where he plays in unison with his ride and snare mixed with some hihat foot in between. Killer!

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/Jackdejohnettekeith2.html

THAT WAS KILLIN'!

That was the epitome of TASTY!
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:08 pm

It would actually be bologna sandwich but we arent that picky round here right? haha

So the kid doesnt like Gadd or Dejohnette. Big deal. i dont care for Dejohnette either. I also loathe Billy Cobham, ya gonna call me names because of it? All thru history the older generation says what hey like is better and the newer generation disagrees. Always. Elvis is a freakin legend in my parents eyes, but my grandparents think he's crap. Some older band comrades of mine think that the bass guitar starts and ends with Jack Bruce. I disagree and can give as many reasons for my argument as they can their's. Its all subjective. His reasons for disliking them are as strong for him as your reasons for liking them. Just because they have a legendary aura behind them doesnt mean they have to be liked by everybody. The guy has listened to Gadd and Jack and determined they dont fit his idea of what sounds good. Im sure, as evidence in the two threads, there are plenty who disagree. Im sure there are plenty who do agree.
I read in an interview that Buddy Rich thought John Bonham was a joke. to quote him "anybody can do that". Now I know Buddy was a force of nature, but almost every single drummer I have ever known would disagree with what Buddy says there. Doesnt mean that in Buddy's head he was wrong, just different from what other people might think.
Ive heard stuff from Jack that i thought was good. The video above from drummerworld was great. But on a whole id have to say i dont really like him. He certainly doesnt suck, and the man can play, but I wont be searching him out anytime soon.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:49 pm

circh bustom wrote:It would actually be bologna sandwich but we arent that picky round here right? haha

So the kid doesnt like Gadd or Dejohnette. Big deal. i dont care for Dejohnette either. I also loathe Billy Cobham, ya gonna call me names because of it? All thru history the older generation says what hey like is better and the newer generation disagrees. Always. Elvis is a freakin legend in my parents eyes, but my grandparents think he's crap. Some older band comrades of mine think that the bass guitar starts and ends with Jack Bruce. I disagree and can give as many reasons for my argument as they can their's. Its all subjective. His reasons for disliking them are as strong for him as your reasons for liking them. Just because they have a legendary aura behind them doesnt mean they have to be liked by everybody. The guy has listened to Gadd and Jack and determined they dont fit his idea of what sounds good. Im sure, as evidence in the two threads, there are plenty who disagree. Im sure there are plenty who do agree.
I read in an interview that Buddy Rich thought John Bonham was a joke. to quote him "anybody can do that". Now I know Buddy was a force of nature, but almost every single drummer I have ever known would disagree with what Buddy says there. Doesnt mean that in Buddy's head he was wrong, just different from what other people might think.
Ive heard stuff from Jack that i thought was good. The video above from drummerworld was great. But on a whole id have to say i dont really like him. He certainly doesnt suck, and the man can play, but I wont be searching him out anytime soon.

I have to disagree...

When a regular person (non-musician) forms an opinion about music, it is most likely from a purely aesthetic standpoint. In that case it's merely taste that dictates the opinion.

Jack is an amazing player and has been hired by the heaviest cats in the business, and throwing him under the bus on a drummer forum is plain retarded. Of course people will get mad. Even if I don't dig something I can see the greatness in it... Jack has a lot of that, and anyone who plays the instrument should be able to notice that.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:24 pm

It's ok, it's not Josiah's fault. He probably doesn't get most jazz and has no desire to do so. That's fine but he must realize that there is a certain jazz element to this board and bashing on the heavyweights is gonna rock the boat. Maybe he'd feel more at home on the virgil board...
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”