1978, "Saturday Night Live"

groober

1978, "Saturday Night Live"

Postby groober » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:39 pm

I am sure this has been seen but it's the first time I've ever seen it... Wish there was more from this era. I've seen the usual that's out there including the "Seal calls. Any one know of any others.

http://youtu.be/dI0SIg4njx0

Best groober
DSOP

Re: 1978, "Saturday Night Live"

Postby DSOP » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:06 pm

gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Good Gawd! I don't know what's more impressive, Bozzio's solo or the fact that he would go on stage in a speedo. lol
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Frank Sanchez

Postby Frank Sanchez » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:17 pm

Gee, I felt that solo really needed a diatonic dynamic...oh well! :D
Jean-Paul

Postby Jean-Paul » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:17 am

gretsch-o-rama wrote:Good Gawd! I don't know what's more impressive, Bozzio's solo or the fact that he would go on stage in a speedo. lol

LMAOL - You made my day! :D
old_K_ride

Postby old_K_ride » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:21 am

groober wrote:I am sure this has been seen but it's the first time I've ever seen it... Wish there was more from this era. I've seen the usual that's out there including the "Seal calls. Any one know of any others.

Best groober

I saw Joe Travers playing with Zappa plays Zappa last Thursday who were opening for Return to Forever IV.
Joe's got Terry and Chester's mammoth tom rolls down along with deft odd time signature hop-scotching which all Zappa drummers were masters of .
ZPZ did only 1 tune from the Vinnie period ( I think ) which was Dancin' Fool . No Joe's Garage stuff at all .

Mr . Travers made everything look easy . No grimacing . No clenched teeth ... just lookin' cool, calm and collected throughout the 60 minute set .

Return to Forever IV were phenomenal by the way .
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:47 am

old_K_ride wrote:ZPZ did only 1 tune from the Vinnie period ( I think ) which was Dancin' Fool .

"Dancin' Fool" is from the Bozzio period, off of Sheik Yerbouti.
old_K_ride

Postby old_K_ride » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:31 am

DSOP wrote:
old_K_ride wrote:ZPZ did only 1 tune from the Vinnie period ( I think ) which was Dancin' Fool .

"Dancin' Fool" is from the Bozzio period, off of Sheik Yerbouti.

hangs head in embarrassment
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:55 am

DSOP wrote:

Amazing memories! That whole sound was so unique and progressive back then! A drummer friend and I saw that same UK trio around that same time - 79-80. It was the warm up act to a Jethro Tull concert. We were big fans of the UK UK album and were there mostly to see UK with Bill Bruford. We had no idea that Bruford and Alan Holdsworth were not going to be a part of the act, and had no idea who Terry Bozzio was. Bummer! We learned who he was real quick. WOAH!
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Rene

Postby Rene » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:20 am

groober wrote:I am sure this has been seen but it's the first time I've ever seen it... Wish there was more from this era. I've seen the usual that's out there including the "Seal calls. Any one know of any others.

Best groober

If you mean Vinnie with Zappa, there is very little of that to be found. Most likely you have found the other SNL performances and live in Munich (seal call included) on YT as well. That's basically it and some audio only recordings. There's not even a Zappa DVD publiced that has Vinnie on it. Maybe the vault meister (Joe Travers) has something in store for us.

Rene

ps. Still waiting for the moment that Dweezil invites VC for a guest performance.

Return to “Drumming Chat”