Signature Empyrean Snare Drum

bigbone

Re: Signature Empyrean Snare Drum

Postby bigbone » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:29 am

Very nice snare, but there is NO WAY it's worth 5K.
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:17 am

Thanks, guys,

DSOP---

None of the woods used in the construction of the Empyrean are restricted under the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES), and all materials are obtained through legitimate US or Canadian wood brokers. All applicable documentation is provided for the shipment of the instruments across domestic and international borders.

Matus--

Right on.

Bigbone---

We beg to differ. I'm guessing that you did not read the full detail/spec page. If you think of the museum quality materials, Pete's 100+ hours hand crafting the instrument with your (the customer) input, and extras in the package such as:

Hand carved Walnut display case by Pete Stanbridge
Pen, Wine Stopper, Drum Key made with the Burls of your drum by Pete Stanbridge
20 page book detailing the construction of your drum
Each drum is sent to me for approval, hand signing, playing and tweaking with pics/vids
Two tickets and backstage passes to a Styx show
And more along those lines, all on the details page......

So what's all that worth? Less than some machine processed metal shell? Basically a Bugatti Veyron Super and a Chevette will get you to the grocery store. Except one's a Bugatti! That's what we were trying to achieve basically. An instrument and package beyond what anyone has ever offered. I'm glad you guys like what you saw and heard!

Cheers from Columbus,
Todd
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:42 am

Todd Sucherman wrote:None of the woods used in the construction of the Empyrean are restricted under the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES), and all materials are obtained through legitimate US or Canadian wood brokers. All applicable documentation is provided for the shipment of the instruments across domestic and international borders.

But that's the same case with Gibson, yet they were raided by SWAT teams. Hopefully Canada doesn't lose its mind anytime soon.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:00 am

VERY beautiful snare drum!

while im sure the price is justified in the workmanship, i wonder if there might be a disconnect between realistic budgets for people and what is possible. that is to say, its pretty rad to have a signature snare like that, but surely you must understand that the amount of people who can afford one are few and far between.
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:17 am

DSOP--

I'm with you.

Josiah---

Thanks a lot. Of course we realize the price point is high but the idea isn't to have a "cash cow" on our hands. As trite or idealistic as it sounds, we wanted to do something unparalleled. We would be happy with a handful of orders. Otherwise poor Pete would be working by himself trying to churn out loads of them, and again, that's not the idea! It's the instrument along with the personal package that makes it the exclusive offering that it is. And indeed we know The Empyrean will have an exclusive appeal.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:37 am

for sure... if i had the kind cash, well i'd prob have a nicer car too. haha

quick question.

you got super fancy everything and then junk snare wires? what gives? there are quite a few higher end snare wires out there to pick from that would make a difference sonically, if even debatable, but none the less would complete the stellar package of the drum as a whole by using the highest quality components, particularly one so integral to the snare sound. from copper to carbon fiber to actual gut, there's some pretty rad higher end snare wire systems out there.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:44 am

my wife says my wood is worth way more than 5k, :)

Looks great Todd, a superb achievement.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:47 am

Josiah wrote:you got super fancy everything and then junk snare wires? what gives?

They're not "junk snare wires". Pearl's snare wires are comparable to any other manufacturer of snare wire. They offer high-carbon steel as well as bronze. You may prefer another brand, but that hardly justifies calling these "junk".
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:29 am

check your facts.

Pearl only offers 1 normal snare drum wire set for sale:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-pe ... 2000000000

what are you a Pearl rep? they are junk snare wires, the cheapest possible. they are the same as most companies, because most companies buy from the same supplier for snare wires. how do you think they sell them for $8?

comparable to PureSound, FatCat, Dunnett? Not even close.
Last edited by Josiah on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:37 am

Josiah wrote:check your facts.

Pearl only offers 1 normal snare drum wire set for sale

No, MusiciansFriend.com only sells one. Check with Pearl my friend.

Return to “Drumming Chat”