Signature Empyrean Snare Drum

Richie Jarvis

Re: Signature Empyrean Snare Drum

Postby Richie Jarvis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 am

After reading about this amazing looking and sounding drum I asked myself several questions and one major question to girlfriend.

Yes it is expensive but it is a collectors item that will last a lifetime if not longer and will be played if it was in anyones collection. As we all know there is an attraction with any inanimate object, could be a car, TV or a kitchen cupboard but all I know is that I saw this snare drum and thought "this looks awesome". I contacted Pete at Stanbridge Drum Company by email and wouldn't you know it but build number 2 was available.

The deposit has been made, it's 4:32 AM in Melbourne Australia, I am buzzing with excitement and cannot wait to see, feel and hear this drum.
Brad Schlueter

Postby Brad Schlueter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:07 pm

Congratulations! My complexion has turned slightly green....
aka Vdrummer
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:04 pm

Richie,

Thanks for your kind words and for your trust. I know you will be thrilled as I was, as #1 will be....and #s 3 and 4 are on hold now, so great timing. Working with Pete is an experience you'll love---your own personal Stradivarius, in my opinion. Congrats and deepest thanks. We'll be in touch!

Todd
S.P

Postby S.P » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:25 pm

That looks incredible!
funkydrummer

Postby funkydrummer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:35 am

Absolutely stunning. If I had the money to drop on that drum, I most certainly would. A total work of art, and one of the most beautiful drums I've ever laid eyes on (and these are only the pictures! I can only IMAGINE what that thing looks - and sound - like in person). A truly beautiful instrument.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon May 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Richie... any updates on your order?

Todd, tell us something about this one too! :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-shop-han ... 656wt_1397
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Mon May 14, 2012 10:24 pm

I don't understand why the one off custom one has a buy it now for $600 and the "production" drum is five times as much at $4,200+.....
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue May 15, 2012 1:56 pm

Hey Todd...first off, thanks for sharing w/t HOD fam here...very cool!

There would be no objection but for the price...it is high and a selected market.

My take is this...what a snare sounds live and in person is one thing, what it sounds
recorded another. That said, I do not hear the bang for the buck on the recorded samples.
The drum sounds excellent, but so do many other snares on favorite recordings. I just
listened to Physical Graffiti over the weekend...is Bonham's snare recorded in the 70's
THAT much off from one costing almost $5k? Is it really discernible to the ear for a drummer
much less the typical music listener buying say a Taylor Mill recording or single?

I guess my real point is what a drum sounds like to the audience/listener should always be the ultimate
goal. That means drummers have to control the sound mix. My favorite snare drum sounds come
from the 70's. I know this is subjective, but the field does narrow when we talk about the really
good snares...most here have their favorites.

If you take away all the frills and thrills (how it's made, all the effort and creativity involved, packaging...
everything) what is comes down to is just sound quality. I don't give a rip about how it's made...nor does
the audience. How the drum is hit is another matter...that has to be a significant factor in sound quality
and well as tuning, heads, snares.

I think the drum is amazing and have great respect for this project. I'm just trying to stand on the outside some
and ask if all the "uniqueness" of this particular drum, in the end, is that much better to the ear
than a supra-phonic or another drummer's favorite for maybe a 5th of the cost at best. Could we
really tell the difference?

All that said, I do think it is human nature to push boundaries to achieve the ultimate...in that sense,
go for it! If this is that effort, and a small group buy this...thumbs up for them! We can't all own
a Bugatti.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Tue May 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Josiah wrote:I don't understand why the one off custom one has a buy it now for $600 and the "production" drum is five times as much at $4,200+.....

I think you mean "Custom" unit costs 5 times more, you mean why does the unit cost 8 times as much... well there is nothing production about it. This is exxtemely labour intesive and is a collectors piece so all the design, prototypes are all factored in to the cost of the drum. Don't you forget you are also getting a solid walnut case and extras. If you asked a carpenter to make that case as a once off it would cost you more than a normal production drum.

I see this drum as art, I don't buy paintings to invest in I buy drums. This is a sound investment that will be around for a long time, sadly over time some will be lost, stolen and destroyed resulting in an increase in value. I ordered build number 002, Todd has build 001 so I was more than happy to lay down my hard earned cash to get this drum.

I don't drive a Veyron I drive a modified 2003 Holden Monaro (Pontiac GTO) but this puts the same smile on my face as my frends Lambo, this drum will have the same effect.

There are pics coming soon so I will post them up as they come in.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Tue May 15, 2012 7:05 pm

If you click on the link that Josiah was speaking of it brings you to an ended listing for a custom drum that Todd is holding. Asking price was 600$. It definitely says custom.

Return to “Drumming Chat”