Signature Empyrean Snare Drum

Todd Sucherman

Re: Signature Empyrean Snare Drum

Postby Todd Sucherman » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:42 am

Deseipel---

Thanks!

DSOP, you are correct. Josiah, Pearl offers many different snare wires with different materials, strand sizes and widths. I use them or snappy (cheap) on all my drums. Why? Because there is a brightness and a crispness that they have. Every time I bought a drum with some expensive wires, I pop on something else and my ears go, "Yeah....there it is now."

The wires are acquired through Pearl Canada and they are not the "bottom rung," nor are they crap I assure you. Pete wouldn't put anything crap on the drum. But all things are subjective to taste. Obviously, anyone is free to change out their snares on any drum, anytime. I've never liked the expensive Puresounds....they are the emperor's new clothes to me.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:46 am

A custom made wood handled strainer with $8 snare wires on a $5,000 drum? i would honestly expect some sort of custom made wires and/or snare system given the price and work into the drum as a whole.

though the emperors clothes reference is funny given the drum in question dont ya think?
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:11 pm

I shall not bite, my friend. Each to their own. Opinions......
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:52 pm

If that isn't worth 5 grand, I don't know what is..

Plus the person who would buy it probably won't even play it, so the strainers are a non issue to me..

I'd have a case for the Walnut case haha..
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:23 pm

That drum is magnificent in every way! If I wasnt getting married next year.....WAIT!! THAT could be OUR wedding gift! Think she'll be as excited as me?!
D.
sejuba

Postby sejuba » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:47 pm

i was a bit reluctant at first as to if I should comment on the snare drum or not, but since you created the thread, I guess you want to
get some feedback (be it good or bad).

the snare looks amazing. no matter how good of a drummer you are though, the only way to have this beauty is if you´re rich. which
is something I can totally understand, but its also a shame. thats why my suggestion to you is that the snare should be offered
it in 2 flavors.

1- the deluxe version
2- and a stripped down version. changes that won´t directly affect the sound, like a different (simpler) finish,
a simpler strainer....flanged hoops. I dunno... we drummers are more interested in sound than looks. of course looks
are important, but its secondary to how good the damn thing sounds.

in regards to sound, I thought it sounded fantastic, but so did your toms...and I mean, I REALLY did love the way
they sounded... which gets me thinking....

despite all being said, this snare drum is something you should be very proud of, its a true piece of art. congratulations.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:45 pm

If I could defend buying something like this I`d definetly use it. Musical instruments are made to be used. If you want to put your stuff on a shelf, better sell it and give the money to charity.
Todd Sucherman

Postby Todd Sucherman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:46 am

Chris----

Thanks. It's definitely a player's drum. Unlike the $10,000+ Triumphal reissue (which is a trophy and un-playable due to the old school gut wires and 20's style strainer) this drum screams to be used.

Kinkiymook---

Funny, one of our purchasers had to wait for his wife's approval before pulling the trigger! (And those of us who are married can totally relate....)

Sejuba---

A scenario like you described (multi tiered package) was kicked around but was ultimately abandoned as to concentrate on creating a single collective vision on what the Empyrean would be. But your comments, insight, and compliments are truly appreciated. Thanks.

Odd-Arne Oseberg----

As stated before, it is a players drum indeed. But whatever clients plan to do with it (or anything anyone buys for that matter) it's ultimately their prerogative to use as they choose. As a collector, I do try to give my drums some love and playing time. They may sit around awhile to wait their turn but they all mean a lot to me and each has it's own story. I may thin out my collection at some point in my life, but they are like my inanimate object friends waiting for me when I get home.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen!
Cheers from Asheville, NC
Todd
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:14 am

No problem there. I have lot of equipment myself, all top shelf. If it`s not in regular use though, I sell it or give it to someone who`ll appreciate it.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:18 am

Josiah wrote:what are you a Pearl rep? they are junk snare wires, the cheapest possible. they are the same as most companies, because most companies buy from the same supplier for snare wires. how do you think they sell them for $8?

comparable to PureSound, FatCat, Dunnett? Not even close.

I had to check the address bar to make sure I hadn't inadvertently landed at the Pearl Drum Forum. Classic irony.

They're snare wires. On a drum. A round drum. A snare drum. That a guy made. A drum. With wires.

Where do I buy the carbon fiber wires you mentioned earlier? Have to have a set of those yesterday.

Some people think Puresound and Fatcat are lousy wires. Go figure. You actually think Dunnett makes snare wires?

I think most people are probably glad the man whose name is on the drum took time to discuss it.

Return to “Drumming Chat”