Mark Guiliana

amoergosum

Re: Mark Guiliana

Postby amoergosum » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:54 pm

treeinrock

Postby treeinrock » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:52 pm

It's interesting that just looking at videos of drumming that certain drummers "look" more interesting to watch. I don't always have access to the headphones when watching videos on the internet (since I mostly read), but I think a lot of the new drummers look really cramped when playing.

Just saw the Steve Smith duo with one of the leading young drummers Jo Jo Mayer and Smith was so much more open with his strokes than the younger drummers. It just isn't that exciting to watch (an I guess that is part of what drew me to drumming). Krupa was really huge when he played. I am just throwing this out because I think we are trying to play more like machines today than in the past, and it has affected ergonomics in drumming.

Just a thought..... Also, it may be a volume thing when playing smaller venues, drummers have to make smaller motions.
Shawn Pelton plays bigger venues, thus bigger movements...... ?
Kenny Aronoff- huge movement = big arena rock shows..... ?

Jazz drummers more contained motion to keep up with the tempos.

I'm not dissing the drumming, but the motion is part of the attraction to the drumming when I was younger, and still part of the fun.
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:28 am

It's a valid point and I tend to agree. Part of the allure is the physical aspect of the instrument. My favorite players tend to play BIG...Copeland - big motions - Peart, Gadd, Vinnie - big motions. It looks cool. Donati. Even the fusion and jazz guys play big...Tony, Cobham, Elvin. I forget where I read it, but somebody was talking about this with the speed metal fast players look as boring as shit - their motions are so small because they are playing so fast. Maybe that's why I dont care or like most of those kind of players. It just doesnt LOOK fun. Do I wish I could play that fast? Sometimes. I love Thomas Haake - he plays fast sometimes but he is a big motion guy as well.

What's more important is the emoting of the players. They are not playing big just to sound loud or louder..my favorite players put a lot of "ummmph" into their playing, they FEEL it, and I like that. There are certain guys that play really really well, but I hate watching them play. I'll put on the record and listen to them that way!

With all that said, I watch and I listen to myself play and I say to myself "god, Im hitting way too hard...." Ah well. Fun.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:16 am

Cheggs

Postby Cheggs » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:43 pm

Cheggs

Postby Cheggs » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:31 pm

Pledge Music Instructional Book/DVD project:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/markguiliana

Return to “Drumming Chat”