Duration: 1:23:01
Data Size: 3.31 GB
Bit Rate: 5.71 Mbps

Video Tracks:
224 MPEG-2, 720 × 576, 4:3, 25 fps, 7.00 Mbps, lower field first

Audio Tracks:
160 PCM stereo, 48 kHz, 1.54 Mbps

!!!!JUMPSUIT ALERT!!!!

Wow! This DVD features 2, July 1982, European shows from the Superstar Quintet. The first is July 9, at the Teatro Olimpico in Rome, Italy. Video quality for this 49 minutes is excellent; maybe 1 or 2 generations off master-tape quality. The track ID's that appear on the screen for song 1 & 3 are not correct. I don't know what correct is, but I do know that what they show are not the titles that appear on screen. As subtly noted above, we have a major jumpsuit alert for this DVD. Tony presents with 2 jumpsuits during this Italy performance. 2 sets, 2 jumpsuits; green and electric yellow. Awesome. Next performance is from the North Sea Jazz Festival dated July 17, 1982. I uploaded this show to DIME in 06/7. Nothing new here, but this show does not seem to circulate much. The video audio quality is significantly degraded for this one, but the show is smoking 80's post bop. I do believe there is an upgrade to be had with this one. If you have it and have not uploaded it to DIME yet, your only salvation is to upload it immediately! For this show, jumpsuit = classic green. Joe and Freddie burn for both of these shows

personnel for both shows:
Freddie Hubbard - trumpet
Joe Henderson - tenor sax
Kenny Barron - piano
Ron Carter - bass
Tony Williams - drums

Italy:
unknown (drum solo)
Recorda Me
unknown

NSJF:
Birdlike
You Don't Know What Love Is
Clear Ways
A Quick Sketch
matthughen

Re: The word of God

Postby matthughen » Sat May 04, 2013 7:46 am

Stumbled on a mention of this album in the comments section of a DIME torrent. Me and several other Tony collectors were completely ignorant of this recording.
Can any of our Swedish / European friends shed some light on these guys?
Pop Workshop - Song of the Pterodactyl from 1974:
http://www.discogs.com/Pop-Workshop-Son ... se/1819171

Good fusion stuff featuring Tony Williams on ALL the tracks. download all the songs here:
http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=1410

All of the songs are on youtube as well:
Henrik

Postby Henrik » Sat May 04, 2013 10:18 am

matthughen

Postby matthughen » Sat May 04, 2013 11:12 am

Holy smokes, Henrik. You have a good memory to remember a 7 year old thread! Well done. For some reason I did not absorb the Pop Workshop thing from back then. Thanks for the reminder! I guess it's not as rare as I thought seeing as I had actually seen it 7 years ago and obviously forgot all about it!
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Sat May 04, 2013 11:26 am

I'm not sure if any of you have checked out the 'I'd Hit That' podcast. I get it thru iTunes and there has been some great interviews (look out for a great one with Steve Smith)

There is a good interview with Cindy Blackman and as well as talking about many other things she has some great Tony stories. She aluds to a crisis of confidence on Tony's part towards the end of his life.

Ilhttp://idhitthatpodcast.podomatic.com
Henrik

Postby Henrik » Sat May 04, 2013 12:18 pm

matthughen wrote:Holy smokes, Henrik. You have a good memory to remember a 7 year old thread! Well done. For some reason I did not absorb the Pop Workshop thing from back then. Thanks for the reminder! I guess it's not as rare as I thought seeing as I had actually seen it 7 years ago and obviously forgot all about it!

Yeah, the link in that thread was to a page my old drum teacher Åke Eriksson put up for one of his bands (Swedish fusion legends Wasa Express!) to showcase some of their/his influences. It's a shame they removed it all; I can see that they felt it was wrong to make full albums available for download, even out of print ones, but the thing was there was a lot of information about the sessions for each album on the page as well, cool stories about Tony/Gadd/Anthony Jackson/etc. coming to Sweden and doing various sessions. One of the albums on that page was an old Wlodek Gulgowski album that Anthony Jackson also speaks about on the "American Drummers Achievement Awards Honoring Steve Gadd" dvd. I suppose I could just call Åke and ask him if you or anyone else wanted to know more about Pop Workshop for instance.
Henrik

Postby Henrik » Sat May 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Did a little Wayback Machine search, and voila: the page lives on!

http://web.archive.org/web/20060423052309/http://www.wasaexpress.net/fusion.html

Check out the story on Tony signing his autograph... ;-)
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Fri May 17, 2013 2:06 pm

My friend is in possession of this piece of history; Tony Williams sends a Western Union telegram to Sam Rivers after George Coleman left Miles' Quintet.
langmick

Postby langmick » Sat May 18, 2013 7:34 pm

wow, can you imagine how tough things were without the innernet...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Never seen this one before today:

Return to “Drumming Chat”