Bruner with Holdsworth (Dan Quayle Edition)

Isaac Lee

Re: Bruner with Holdsworth (Dan Quayle Edition)

Postby Isaac Lee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:46 pm

DSOP wrote:For a drummer, it really doesn't matter how many other drummers dig you. What counts is how many keyboardists, guitarists, bassists, and songwriteres etc. dig your playing.

That isn't true for everyone. If your a drummer's drummer and make your money teaching lessons and doing clinics it pays to have a nice drummer fan base.
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:00 am

Isaac Lee wrote:
DSOP wrote:For a drummer, it really doesn't matter how many other drummers dig you. What counts is how many keyboardists, guitarists, bassists, and songwriteres etc. dig your playing.

That isn't true for everyone. If your a drummer's drummer and make your money teaching lessons and doing clinics it pays to have a nice drummer fan base.

Yes it isn't exactly true. I've been subbing a lot in different bands and I can say that I've been recommended half the time by some fellow drummers because they liked me and trusted that I could play good with their band. Other half would be by any other band members.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:17 am

Bruner comes out off by an 8th note after the fill. Allan kinda skipped a note of the melody to catch up a couple measure further.

Having seen Holdsworth live a few times, he was an impassible bloke on stage. But here he's always smiling on those tunes with Ron.
It either means: "Hey, playing with this guy is fun!" or "Gee, that guy is nuts; I'll fire him...wait, the crowd likes it!".

Sometimes the highlight of a gig for pros is a mistake that a member does and how they managed to camouflage it, cause it's SO rare. They talk about in the break and laugh.
These things can happen when you play on the edge, and that's what we like from drummers playing hardcore fusion, don't we?
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:24 am

"Gee, that guy is nuts; I'll fire him...wait, the crowd likes it!

lmfao
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:26 am

For a drummer, it really doesn't matter how many other drummers dig you. What counts is how many keyboardists, guitarists, bassists, and songwriteres etc. dig your playing.

...add to this that dude we call producer!

Wow guys, you can get really anal about it... This whole thing about a FILL?!

That's what makes this a great site...attention to detail, passion, intense interest!

Please remind me not to play at the BP when some of you are in the audience....you guys would make me feeling bad about myself if I flubbed a note!

...not at all...doubt you will be gigging for Holdsworth. In fact, just the opposite...guys would show up in support if they could get a babysitter. Part of gigging for the big boys is this type of microscopic reaction. Is what it is.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:52 am

I want to see this go to 50 pages....
Darren Altman

Postby Darren Altman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:42 pm

Horrible, bombastic. Loud, tasteless, egotistical "look at me" playing, with no regard for his other musicians. Yes he caught the phrasing, but the blowing was awful. If that's what having ridiculous technique and fast hands does to your playing... I think I'll stick with where I am thank you. Ron needs to develop his ears, not his hands.

Q Why does a dog lick his balls?
A Because he can
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:02 pm

Word has it that Holdsworth is doing a world tour next year with quite a few dates in the States. Anyone know who's part of the trio?
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:58 pm

I see this thread and wonder if Bruner's read it (and cringe a little). Then I remember most drummers of that caliber are MUCH MUCH worse on themselves than anyone else can be, so imagine what Bruner might be thinking of his performance, when the focus should probably be that he played with Allan Freakin Holdworth and made the crowd go crazy.

But I get it. If you're into technique you learn to be OCD about everything -- perfectionist. You can't really get there without that kind of attitude. To my knowledge there's never been a "whatever" kind of guy who's made it to the top.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Riddim

Postby Riddim » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Isaac Lee wrote:

How many folks make a living doing just that?

Return to “Drumming Chat”