Montreal Drum Festival

tobiasralph

Montreal Drum Festival

Postby tobiasralph » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:26 am

Anyone going to the Montreal Drum Festival this weekend? I'll be performing on Sunday, October 23 at 3:00pm. I'll be playing some tunes with guitarist Simon Yu and bassist Evan Marien. Also, NYDVD and Paiste are going to be giving away 1,000 promotional copies of my soon to be released instructional drum DVD. Should be really cool! Maybe I'll see some of you there.

www.montrealdrumfest.com

Cheers,
Tobias
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: Montreal Drum Festival

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:47 am

Ralph sent me the roster a while back, I never posted it..(sorry Ralph, I blew it).

Here's the breakdown:

Saturday October 22
YAMAHA GROOVE HOUR
TEDDY CAMPBELL (American Idol, Tonight Show), ADRIAN BENT (Drake), LARNELL LEWIS with a seven-piece groove band directed by Julie Lamontagne
CHRIS COLEMAN (Prince)
IGNACIO BERROA QUARTET (Dizzy Gillespie, Gonzalo Rubalcaba)
BILLY RYMER (Dillinger Escape Plan)
SAMUEL TORRES (Columbia) & RAY YSLAS (Christina Aguilera, etc)
LUCAS van MERWIJK & DRUMS UNITED (The Netherlands)
CANADIAN ROLAND V-DRUM COMPETITION FINAL
Sunday October 23
THOMAS PRIDGEN (The Mars Volta, The Memorials)
DANNY SERAPHINE (Chicago, the Band)
MORITZ MUELLER (Germany)
TOBIAS RALPH TRIO (Tricky, Adrian Belew)
AQUILES PRIESTER (Hangar / Angra)
OLI BEAUDOIN (Neuraxis)
SCOTT PELLEGRON
YAMAHA “RISING STAR” SHOWCASE
tobiasralph

Postby tobiasralph » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:56 am

As always, the festival was excellent! Montreal is one of my favorite cities and it was especially cool to be back there twice in just a few weeks time. This was also my second appearance at the festival and I'm very grateful to Ralph for inviting me back! There should be some footage from my performance soon.

Was anyone from HoD there?
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:03 pm

tobiasralph wrote:Was anyone from HoD there?

I highly suspect "Tombo" to have been present.... ????
tobiasralph

Postby tobiasralph » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:10 am

So Tombo, were you there? ;)
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:27 pm

I wasn't at the Drumfest this year. They moved the date and it fell during our jazz festival which has a very good lineup this year. I caught Alain Caron with Damien Schmidt (really loved his original style), Ari Hoenig Quartet (groundbreaking), Maceo Parker with his son Marcus on drums (and ex James Brown and P-Funk members, gee that was funky!), Joe Lovano/Esperanza Spalding.

Tobias, I had already seen you at a clinic you gave at Drummers Collective in 91. I think you were at Berklee at the time. I still have your handouts on odd groupings and beatshifting.
You were already a monster back then. Have you made any progress since? ;)

I was at Drumfest last year with a backstage pass gratefully offered by Ralph. Got to meet "long time no see" people: Bobby Sanabria, my latin drumming teacher at DC. Jost Nickel, we graduated together at DC; he now has a nice career going on in Europe...

Looking forward to this year's footage.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Moritz! Forgot about him! Any good stuff from him recently?
tobiasralph

Postby tobiasralph » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:06 am

Tombo 7/4 wrote:I wasn't at the Drumfest this year. They moved the date and it fell during our jazz festival which has a very good lineup this year. I caught Alain Caron with Damien Schmidt (really loved his original style), Ari Hoenig Quartet (groundbreaking), Maceo Parker with his son Marcus on drums (and ex James Brown and P-Funk members, gee that was funky!), Joe Lovano/Esperanza Spalding.

Tobias, I had already seen you at a clinic you gave at Drummers Collective in 91. I think you were at Berklee at the time. I still have your handouts on odd groupings and beatshifting.
You were already a monster back then. Have you made any progress since? ;)

I was at Drumfest last year with a backstage pass gratefully offered by Ralph. Got to meet "long time no see" people: Bobby Sanabria, my latin drumming teacher at DC. Jost Nickel, we graduated together at DC; he now has a nice career going on in Europe...

Looking forward to this year's footage.

Hey Tombo-
Wow! You saw me in '91 at DC? That was a LONG time ago! But, thanks for your kind words. I teach at DC when I'm around. They have such a fantastic program. I'm happy to know that we're both alums of DC - very cool!

Ralph told me last week that the footage will be up very soon, so I'm really looking forward to seeing it too. Please keep in touch and I'm sure we'll run into each other at some point soon. I'll be in Europe with Defunkt next spring...the dates will be finalized soon.

Cheers,
Tobias
tobiasralph

Postby tobiasralph » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:58 am

Finally there is a bit of footage up from my performance at Montreal that I can share, so I'm going to attempt to post it in the correct way! One clip was put up by Evans on their site and the other clip was put up by my friend Simon Yu (he's also the incredible guitarist in the clips). They were both filmed by Marco Soccoli. Thanks Marco and Simon - you're the best!

[http://youtu.be/xdI2g2I9D6k]

[http://youtu.be/NzOS3YS7LqI]

Also, DSOP, very kindly instructed me on the way to insert youtube clips. Thanks again for that! Let's hope I get it right this time. ;) Maybe there's hope for me yet! If I did, in fact, mess it up again (which is possible!) can someone please come to the rescue? Thanks!
tobiasralph

Postby tobiasralph » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:01 am

Clearly, I did not get it right! Sorry everyone. :?

Return to “Drumming Chat”