SIMON PHILLIPS - The thread about Simon

Lucas Ives

Re: SIMON PHILLIPS - The thread about Simon

Postby Lucas Ives » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:12 pm

giggle
sturla

Postby sturla » Wed May 01, 2013 5:14 am

And here is the whole Hiromi concert; Live In Marciac (2012) with Simon and Anthony Jackson on bass.

moose

Postby moose » Wed May 01, 2013 5:58 am

Kurtis wrote:I forget the DVD I have of him playing jazz in the studio.
You're probably thinking of Vantage Point.

JayTee

Postby JayTee » Wed May 01, 2013 7:23 am

Robert Bluman wrote:Simon is a perfect example of how jazz drummers who later fused rock and jazz(Billy Cobham, Tony Williams), had such a huge effect on rock drummers. Influenced by two pioneering jazz drummers, Simon doesn't play a note of jazz. He's a rock drummer, and yet because of his influences he has a jazz phrasing sensibility about his playing. I've always been a fan. That's right Jay, some drummers never change their sound, but unlike Gadd who's pretty much the only one who has the same drum sound on every style, , Simon's musical reach isn't vast. You won't hear him on a latin jazz recording, a jazz recording, or an R+B record. It's rock, and rock fusion. So really, he has no need to change his tuning preferences. I personally like when drummers change gear to suit a style or certain sound. Personality doesn't diminish , it's still their approach.

Totally agree with you that personality doesn't diminish along with different tunings. Tuning your drums differently DOES affect your approach though on a subconscious level and affects how you physically execute ideas IMHO
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Wed May 01, 2013 7:43 am

Robert Bluman wrote:Simon is a perfect example of how jazz drummers who later fused rock and jazz(Billy Cobham, Tony Williams), had such a huge effect on rock drummers. Influenced by two pioneering jazz drummers, Simon doesn't play a note of jazz. He's a rock drummer, and yet because of his influences he has a jazz phrasing sensibility about his playing. I've always been a fan. That's right Jay, some drummers never change their sound, but unlike Gadd who's pretty much the only one who has the same drum sound on every style, , Simon's musical reach isn't vast. You won't hear him on a latin jazz recording, a jazz recording, or an R+B record. It's rock, and rock fusion. So really, he has no need to change his tuning preferences. I personally like when drummers change gear to suit a style or certain sound. Personality doesn't diminish , it's still their approach.

He's here all week, try the veal!
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Thu May 02, 2013 1:12 am

sturla wrote:And here is the whole Hiromi concert; Live In Marciac (2012) with Simon and Anthony Jackson on bass.

"Hiromi - The Trio Project..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by YAMAHA MUSIC PUBLISHING, INC..
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
JohnDrum

Postby JohnDrum » Thu May 02, 2013 1:13 am

bored at work wrote:

He's here all week, try the veal!

:mrgreen:
People whistle the song -they don't whistle your drum part - Ringo Starr
sturla

Postby sturla » Fri May 03, 2013 4:01 am

Simon doing the movie score to Pirates of the Caribeean "At worlds end".

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:36 am

If I'm not mistaken, he's using another snare where his first floor tom would normally go, and instead of floor toms, he's just got more mounted toms:

Rene

Postby Rene » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:51 am

From Toto's facebook page. On this is pic you can see the extra toms .... I love Simon, more is more :-) A shot from above his set would be nice ...

Return to “Drumming Chat”