Riley explains the Vinnie fill from the Chaka sound check

S.P

Re: Riley explains the Vinnie fill from the Chaka sound chec

Postby S.P » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:04 am

Indeed that half-time thing is from a Vinnie Clinic in 1998 in Richmond, VA. It is indeed available from HOD clips section on the main page and is soundboard recorded. That clinic must have had literally thousands of listens over the years on my ipod.
RLRR LRLL

Postby RLRR LRLL » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Great stuff!

I had do transcribe a fill that he plays a bit later in the clip and thought I'd share it here.

2:27 in the Riley clip this happens,

Vinnie fill Chaka Reh. low.jpg
Vinnie fill from Chaka rehersal. 2:27 in the John Riley Version from Drummerworld.
Vinnie fill Chaka Reh. low.jpg (376.71 KiB) Viewed 4639 times

I really have to work on fills with this kind of left hand emphasis, wonderfull!

First I thought he was playing triplets (as you can see) but then I saw the light... so now I have 2 great fills.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:10 am

Thanks for the transcription! Nice work. I was wondering about that bit, in fact.
mickeajax

Postby mickeajax » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Thank you for the transcription! I´ve been trying to figure that out by slowing the clip down. However I do hear the toms as the quarter note pulse, so the first two notes (bassdrum and snare) are a pick up for the first tom note. Maybe I got it backwards. Thanks anyway!

Ps. If I would make that much noise during soundcheck, I probably would be fired, but hey it´s Vinnie.
Arnaud_Donnez

Postby Arnaud_Donnez » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:55 am

That clip is from somewhere inside the Ten Summoners Tales clinic found here on HOD. Epic playing, unreal quality. That clip has been circulated in the netherworld for years...

I love this ! I played a version of that wonderful solo and uploaded it on Youtube :

My interpretation begins after 16 bars of "free" soloing...i worked a lot on this and learned it from the score (the first four pages, available for free on HOD and http://www.terradrummica.de). After a while, i did not rely on it anymore and began to play a personnal version of some grooves and fills...
I'm no Vinnie at all but working on this gave me a whole new approach to my playing and a better understanding of coordination, linear playing, rythmic scales, and so on. Hope you'll enjoy it ! (and yes, some of my ghost notes are terrible...i need to work on this but i have a little excuse : i switched from matched to traditionnal grip only one year and a half ago :roll: ). I need to practice again and again...that's a never ending story.
By the way, thanks to Wolfgang Schüler for transcribing this ! Great work ! ;)

I had do transcribe a fill that he plays a bit later in the clip and thought I'd share it here.

Thank you very much ! That Vinnie's stuff is priceless.
Spagnuolo

Postby Spagnuolo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Great job Arnaud! cest magnifique!
Arnaud_Donnez

Postby Arnaud_Donnez » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:30 am

Great job Arnaud! cest magnifique!

Merci Monsieur ! :)
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:21 pm

Yeah, really nice, Arnaud! I really enjoy the melodic tom idea at 2:43. Post more!
Arnaud_Donnez

Postby Arnaud_Donnez » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Yeah, really nice, Arnaud! I really enjoy the melodic tom idea at 2:43. Post more!

Thank you very much for the kind words. "The melodic tom idea" is not MY idea, but Vinnie's idea.
Basically, it's 3 on left hand against 4 on right hand (3:4 polyrhythm). There are many cool things to do with rythmic scales and i dig that stuff. ;)

Return to “Drumming Chat”