Favorite guitarists....

Ardent15

Favorite guitarists....

Postby Ardent15 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:02 pm

Hey HOD'ers, been a little while since I've been around these parts. :P

As drummers, who are your favorite guitarists? I love a lot of the usual suspects, as it were, like Micheal Landau, Steve Lukather, Scoot Henderson, Frank Gambale. I also really enjoy many of the other great studio players like Dann Huff, Tim Pierce, Michael Thompson, etc.

Lately, I've been listening to some mainstream country music. The songs may have silly lyrics at times, but there's no doubt that the musicians in Nashville-guitarists, drummers, and others-are top, top notch. Jerry McPherson, Tom Bukovac, Brent Mason, Brent Rowan...the list of great Nashville guitarists goes on! And many of those cats are producers!

For rock and metal, my favorites are Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Andy Timmons, Al Pitrelli, Tony MacAlpine, Steve Morse, and Blues Saraceno. All of these guys are re-dork-ulous players! :)

Lastly, but certainly not least, the jazz greats like Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, as well as rock/proto-fusion players like Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix,Tommy Bolin-I've gotta tip my hat to those guys, no question.

Oh, and HOLDSWORTH! :D

So, who are your favorite guitar players?
markie04drum

Re: Favorite guitarists....

Postby markie04drum » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:11 pm

I really like Jeff Beck and Wayne Krantz, but for me, it would be a dream come true to play with Frisell!
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Oz Noy by a factor of 1,000. The dude is just funky.

But as a wanna-be guitarist, currently digging on Larry Carlton's Steely Dan stuff.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:48 pm

Gaddabout wrote:Oz Noy by a factor of 1,000. The dude is just funky.

But as a wanna-be guitarist, currently digging on Larry Carlton's Steely Dan stuff.

Hiram Bullock was great with Steely Dan as well.

Wow, the Aja album has SIX guest guitarists. Carlton, Dias, Graydon, Khan, Parks, Ritenour...geez.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:58 pm

Holdsworth is definitely a favorite!
I'm really loving Oz as well. Wanted to see him again in Nashville in December but I don't think it's happening this time.
John Scofield is also a favorite. Especially his 80's output with Dennis and Omar and Jordan.
John Abercrombie. Check out 'November', 'Timeless' and 'Night' CDs.
Peter C

Postby Peter C » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:44 pm

Eric Gale, Steve Khan and Alan Holdsworth.

Regards,

P
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:59 pm

I'll probably neglect to mention some, but here's ten of my favorites just off the top of my head...

Robert Fripp
David Torn
Richard Thompson
Dominic Miller
Derek Bailey
Lee Ritenour
John McLaughlin
Jeff Beck
Andy Summers
Bill Frissell
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:12 pm

baht habit wrote:I'll probably neglect to mention some, but here's ten of my favorites just off the top of my head...

Robert Fripp
David Torn
Richard Thompson
Dominic Miller
Derek Bailey
Lee Ritenour
John McLaughlin
Jeff Beck
Andy Summers
Bill Frissell

How could I forget these guys?! Especially Johnny Mac. His generosity during a live show is as impressive as his actual playing.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:13 pm

baht habit wrote:I'll probably neglect to mention some, but here's ten of my favorites just off the top of my head...

Robert Fripp
David Torn
Richard Thompson
Dominic Miller
Derek Bailey
Lee Ritenour
John McLaughlin
Jeff Beck
Andy Summers
Bill Frissell

Surprised to see a shout-out to Fripp on HOD! He's in my top 10, along with John McLaughlin, of course. Vernon Reid burned down the house a few months ago and I've been re-discovering his stuff since then. I had a small DiMeola relapse recently and Shawn Lane, too. Ralph Towner on is brilliant on 6 and 12 string, classical style. I'll second or third Scofield, most any era. David Torn is really interesting as is Frisell. I'd have to mention "Love Devotion" era Carlos Santana also. From around '71 to '73 he really hit a peak. Who remembers Terje Rypdal? So many players, so little time.

Edit: Steve Khan, of course! Bill Connors, too. Then we get into the jazz pantheon, where I'd start with George Benson, throw in some Jim Hall, Wes Montgomery, Pat Martino! The list goes on and on.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Phil T. wrote:

Robert Fripp
David Torn
Richard Thompson
Dominic Miller
Derek Bailey
Lee Ritenour
John McLaughlin
Jeff Beck
Andy Summers
Bill Frissell

Surprised to see a shout-out to Fripp on HOD! He's in my top 10, along with John McLaughlin, of course. Vernon Reid burned down the house a few months ago and I've been re-discovering his stuff since then. I had a small DiMeola relapse recently and Shawn Lane, too. Ralph Towner on is brilliant on 6 and 12 string, classical style. I'll second or third Scofield, most any era. David Torn is really interesting as is Frisell. I'd have to mention "Love Devotion" era Carlos Santana also. From around '71 to '73 he really hit a peak. Who remembers Terje Rypdal? So many players, so little time.

Edit: Steve Khan, of course! Bill Connors, too. Then we get into the jazz pantheon, where I'd start with George Benson, throw in some Jim Hall, Wes Montgomery, Pat Martino! The list goes on and on.

Terje Rypdal with DeJohnette and Miroslav Vitous is sublime! Check out 'Waves' and 'Chasers' and the couple tunes he did on the 'Heat' soundtrack. The DVD he did with Trilok Gurtu and Miroslav, in Germany is incredible as well. I'm slacking on remembering my favorite guitarists. I need sleep.

Return to “Drumming Chat”